Educator & Volunteer Coordinator

ECHO, Leahy Center for Lake Champlain

Reports to: Public Programs Manager

Details: Full time, year-round role. The schedule includes one weekend day per week (Sunday – Thursday or Tuesday – Saturday). Must be okay working occasional evenings and adjusting schedule to accommodate business needs.

Accepting applications: Applications are open until filled. Candidates must submit cover letter and resume.

Location: This is an in-person, on-site role. Candidates must be able to commute to 1 College Street, Burlington, VT. Parking is provided.

Description: ECHO inspires and engages families in the joy of scientific discovery, wonder of nature, and care of Lake Champlain. ECHO is a dynamic, nationally acclaimed, science center committed to engaging diverse public audiences and providing experiential, relevant and lifelong educational experiences for all our guests. ECHO employees are expected to contribute to a productive, respectful, inclusive workplace by modeling humor, communication, collaboration and accountability to our colleagues, animals and guests.

Our educators are dynamic, enthusiastic, and creative people who love to engage with museum guests of all ages. With 70% of their time spent developing new activities; facilitating on the floor; and mentoring volunteers and interns, the remaining 30% is spent growing an enriching and appreciative volunteer program across the organization. The successful candidate is people-oriented, creative, and enthusiastic about informal science education.

Responsibilities include:

  • Develop and deliver engaging STEM activities and presentations for family audiences and guests of all ages.
  • Build and maintain a positive, collaborative relationship with colleagues in the education department and ECHO employees more broadly.
  • Recruit and onboard new and returning volunteers.
  • Create systems to engage and appreciate volunteers, building a meaningful volunteer experience.
  • Maintain ECHO’s volunteer management software and data.
  • Develop and deliver training to volunteers and interns.
  • Mentor interns and volunteers.
  • Help plan and deliver public festivals and special event days.
  • Help manage public program materials and resupply of exhibit consumables.
  • Assist in daily floor closure and clean-up.
  • Substitute as floor manager, providing oversight of a cross-departmental day guest experience team and related operations.
  • Represent ECHO in radio and television media.
  • Other duties and special projects assigned as needed.

Essential Skills:

  • Associate’s Degree in education and/or STEM field.
  • 3+ years experience building and delivering memorable science learning experiences.
  • Experience working with people of all ages.
  • Comfort and enthusiasm for working with people.
  • Excitement about creating joyful learning experiences.
  • Comfort with failure as a tool for development and learning.
  • Familiarity with the scientific and engineering design processes.
  • Comfort engaging with a range of scientific disciplines.
  • Working knowledge of educational theory and practice, especially in informal science education.
  • Experience in program development and evaluation.
  • Fluent in Google Workspace and Microsoft Office.
  • Familiarity with AV technology.
  • Ability to work collaboratively in a dynamic team setting.
  • Demonstrate strong communication skills.
  • Ability to build relationships with colleagues, including school internship coordinators.
  • Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
  • Strong interpersonal, written/verbal communication, and networking skills.
  • Commitment to ongoing cultural responsiveness.

Instructions for Applying:

To be considered a candidate for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to

If you require assistance with the application process, or need a different form of application, please contact Katelyn Olson (she/her/hers) by email or phone ( / 802-864-1848 Ext.116).

ECHO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or Federal law.

To Apply:

Please send resume & cover letter to

Job Info

Location: 1 College Street, Burlington, VT, USA
Category: Education
Employment Type: Full Time
Posted: Apr 10, 2024
Deadline: Open Until Filled