Voting Safely in 2020: A Call to Action from VBSR
In these times of social, political, and economic upheaval, it is more important than ever that as socially responsible business leaders we make every effort to ensure our elections are safe, timely, and accessible. While VBSR is decidedly nonpartisan, we are committed to working with our members to increase voter participation in our country’s elections and channel resources toward our election system so that when Vermonters cast their ballots, they know their voices will be heard both in the Green Mountain State and in our Nation’s Capital.
Giving your Employees the Resources and Time to Vote
One of the most common reasons people give for not voting is pretty simple—they’re too busy with the demands of work and life. To help address these barriers, VBSR is encouraging member businesses to not only allow their employees time to vote but also give them the resources they need to register, learn about their candidates, and when the time comes, cast their ballots safely by mail or at their local polling place.
Here are some of key resources to help you get started
- Time to Vote: Join the movement to increase voter participation by giving employees time off to vote
- Election Information and Resources: Visit the Vermont Secretary of State’s My Voter Page to register online, check your voter registration status, request a mail-in ballot, and more
- General Election FAQs: From retrieving lost ballots to avoiding overvoting, check out some of the most frequently asked questions from Vermont voters
- Cartoon Voter Guide: Tired of all the text? Looking for something fun to share with your employees? Check out this illustrated guide from our friends at VPR.
- Candidate Bios: Bios and reader generated surveys on all House and Senate candidates are available online as part of VTDigger’s coverage of the 2020 election.
- Voting Records: VBSR spent much of the session fighting for livable wages, paid family leave, and swift climate action in the Vermont Statehouse. Check out the links below to see how your members voted on these key issues.
Operation Vote Safe
Many states’ election systems are expected to be strained beyond capacity due to a combination of massive increases in absentee voters and high voter turnout; shortages of poll workers, polling facilities, and PPE; insufficient resources for mail-in ballot processing and safe in-person polls; and rampant misinformation about the reliability of voting by mail.
With Election Day fast approaching, the time is now to help polling places protect their frontline workers and inspire confidence in our elections.
In collaboration with our partners at Businesses for America and the National Election Defense Coalition, we’re working to mobilize businesses across the state to help address these challenges by:
– Inviting employees to work the polls and help count ballots.
– Donating equipment and supplies like PPE and hand sanitizer, equipment like dropboxes and sneeze guards, and office supplies like pens and sorting bins.
– Offering company facilities as polling places, fleet vehicles for ballot pickup, and ballot dropboxes on company property.
– Creating voter guides, social media content, and public service announcements.
For more information visit www.operationvotesafe.org
Elections have consequences, not just for our businesses but for the people, communities, and environments we strive to support. Join VBSR in promoting a safe, secure, and fair election!