Action Alert: The Vermont Climate Council Needs Your Input!
With the December deadline for the Vermont Climate Action Plan fast approaching, the Vermont Climate Council wants your input! The Council’s public engagement team will be holding a series of in-person events to discuss the upcoming Plan and what your priorities are for the state’s climate work. It is critical that Vermont’s socially responsible business leaders show up to these meetings and help inform what direction we should take to address the climate while creating family-sustaining jobs, growing our economy, and promoting equity.
The Global Warming Solutions Act that VBSR members pushed so hard to get into law last year requires Vermont to make significant cuts in climate pollution by 2025 – and much bigger cuts by 2030 and beyond. Our legislature has already gotten started on that work by committing to major investments in climate action over the next three years, but there is still much more to do.
Help us protect Vermont’s future by signing up to attend one of the upcoming meetings and voicing your support for climate action.
Upcoming Meeting Times and Locations:
- Thursday, September 30, 6-7:30 pm: Virtual via Zoom
- Tuesday, October 5, 6-7:30 pm: Virtual event via Zoom with a particular emphasis on participation among members of Vermont’s BIPOC communities
- Wednesday, October 6, 6-7:30 pm: Virtual event via Zoom
The Vermont Climate Council must do its job and author a plan that not only cuts climate pollution dramatically but also advances equity, grows our economy, and makes us more resilient to the challenges of a warming world. To accomplish this, they need to hear from you that:
- Climate change is here. From winter recreation and local food-driven tourism to manufacturing and service industries, climate change disrupts nearly every facet of our state’s economy—we can no longer afford half measures.
- The Plan needs to cut carbon pollution across Vermont’s economy, in line with the Solutions Act’s requirements and what climate science demands.
- Equity is paramount to ensure that no Vermonter is left behind, and
- The Plan needs to support real, significant funding for climate action.
Make your voice heard and together we can forge a more green, equitable, and resilient Vermont. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to VBSR Public Policy Manager, Jordan Giaconia at Jordang@vbsr.org.