VBSR is Hiring a Public Policy Manager
VBSR is a business association with over 700 members, advocating for policies which support workers, communities and the environment. The Public Policy Manager helps give our members a voice on sustainable economic development and social equity issues. The manager develops and implements VBSR policy programs and services in consultation with and with the approval of VBSR’s Executive Director. The manager will work to advance VBSR’s board-approved policy goals through legislative lobbying and strategies, research, outreach, and education, working closely with VBSR’s Public Policy Committee, study committees and issue groups as well as VBSR members. The Public Policy Manager reports to the Executive Director.
Issues and Advocacy
- Gather data from VBSR members and other internal and external sources to inform VBSR’s public policy process and its understanding of relevant policy issues.
- Recommend policy priorities, goals and strategies for the organization’s policy work, working with the Public Policy Committee and Board.
- Monitor and track developments of legislative and regulatory proposals related to VBSR’s policy issues.
- Provide testimony on VBSR’s behalf to legislative and other decision-makers and also identify and coordinate testimony from others.
- Identify and implement potential collaborations in support of VBSR policy goals and strategies.
- Organize meetings of the Public Policy Committee and study groups.
Communication and Outreach
- Plan and execute public policy forums, annual legislative reception and other events that help communicate VBSR policy positions to decision-makers as well as the membership and broader public.
- Research and draft VBSR policy positions and lead the position approval process.
- Communicate VBSR policies, goals and strategies through VBSR outreach, website, legislative updates and other media to help educate members, decision-makers and the public and to promote VBSR positions.
- Work with other VBSR staff to forward the organization’s work and mission.
- Be a positive contributor to VBSR Staff Team and team-wide efforts, including membership growth, events and organizational development.
- Active interest in socially responsible public policy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent ability to be diplomatic and persuasive and build rapport.
- Good analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to handle fast-changing, time-sensitive matters in stressful situations.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work with teams, committees and coalitions.
- Consistent presence at the Vermont Statehouse during the Legislative Session is primary.
- Sitting at a desk and working with a computer and phone for long periods of time.
- Some travel and occasional evenings required.
- Office is located at 255 So. Champlain St., Ste. 11, Burlington, VT 05401
Excellence in this position would include:
- Significant advancement of VBSR ‘s priority policy goals.
- Highly visibility and deep public understanding of VBSR’s policy positions and the reasoning underlying the positions.
- Fully met organizational needs in terms of policy resources: collaborative relationships, funding, and informational resources.
VBSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, veterans, people of color, individuals with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community and individuals from diverse and often underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.