Vermont Public Interest Research Group
VPIRG Development Director | Full Time
Location: Offices located in Montpelier and Burlington
VPIRG seeks an energetic and experienced fundraising professional to join our team. Because of VPIRG’s unique model where nearly every member of staff is involved in fundraising, you must be a strong captain—someone who loves collaboration and teamwork but can also be assertive and hold people accountable.
You approach work with positivity, pragmatism, and persistence. You are motivated by the thousands of members who share a belief that, in Vermont, we can and must do all we can to promote and protect our democracy, our climate, our environment, and locally based economy. In turn, you can motivate others through your clear, concise, and compelling communications.
Major elements of the position include:
Overall Fundraising Management
- Develop deep understanding of and appreciation for VPIRG’s people-powered funding model and advance that culture among staff, board, and donors.
- Create and implement strategic fundraising plans and budgets for each arm of the VPIRG family, including educational, advocacy, and political operations.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the organization’s planned giving program.
- Grow the organization’s grant funding by researching new potential funders, cultivating foundation contacts, writing grant proposals, and empowering other staff to do the same.
- Help develop annual reports, newsletters, and other materials or stories highlighting the impact of VPIRG’s work.
- Ensure monthly giving program, stewarded by Membership Manager and grown each summer by the VPIRG canvass, meets monthly benchmarks and that sustainers feel the impact of their giving.
- Provide high level oversite of fundraising activities managed by other staff, including grassroots funding appeals through phonebanking, texting, direct mail, and digital outreach. The door-to-door canvassing operation is managed by other staff with direct experience running that program, but close coordination and consistency between the canvass and development teams is vital.
- Direct Major Donor fundraising program including:
- working with staff to develop and implement moves management plans for a total of 200-300 donors,
- managing personal portfolio of 20-30 donors,
- supporting all staff through conducting trainings, developing materials, drafting raps and scripts, organizing staff-wide cultivation blocks, and regularly checking in and reporting back on performance,
- assisting other members of the leadership team in stewarding their donors as needed, and
- creating and implementing plans to seek and engage new prospective donors.
Management & Leadership
- Serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Directly supervise the Membership Manager and other development staff.
- Effectively interface with VPIRG, VPIREF, and VPIRG Votes board members to unlock their full potential as supporters, fundraisers, and/or advisors.
- Commit to identifying opportunities to increase equity in our work, diversity in our organization, and inclusion in our management.
- A commitment and passion for VPIRG’s mission.
- Fundraising experience in the nonprofit or electoral sectors.
- Developed and executed successful fundraising campaigns of annual campaigns, mid-level donors and major donors.
- Worked on researching and writing foundation proposals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with CRM databases (knowledge of EveryAction) is a plus.
- Ability to travel (within state) and work evening/weekend hours as needed.
- Transferable skills and lived experience will be considered.
Compensation: Salary range between $60,000-$75,000 depending on experience, combined with a comprehensive benefits package total compensation equivalent to$75,000-$100,000 annual salary. Benefits include: 100% employer-paid health insurance plan plus a fund to cover out-of-pocket medical expenses; employer-matching retirement contributions or student loan repayment of up to 3% of salary; 20 vacation and 15 personal days annually accrued and 13 paid holidays. Moving stipend of up to $2,500 available.
Location: VPIRG has offices in both Montpelier and Burlington. Regular in-person workdays are being reestablished, but staff have flexibility to work from home or in the office on most days depending on their role, performance, and the time of year. Regular remote working options are negotiable.
Reports to: Associate Director
Effective Date: Start date flexible between January – March 2023
Apply online at the bottom of the job description page here. Application period is open immediately and closes on January 29, 2023. First-round interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
VPIRG strives to center diversity, equity, and inclusion in our policy work and management practices. People of color, trans and gender-nonconforming people, people from poor and working-class backgrounds, queer people, and women are encouraged to apply.