Vice President, Operations & Strategy | Full Time
Location: South Burlington, VT, USA
About the Position:
Vermont Gas Systems (VGS) is currently seeking a Vice President, Operations & Strategy to join our Executive Leadership Team. VGS delivers essential services that touch people’s lives and allow communities to thrive. We provide safe, reliable, and affordable energy services to over 55,000 customers in northwest Vermont and aim to be a national leader in the climate-forward transformation of the thermal energy industry.
The energy landscape is changing rapidly, and this executive leader will shape the future of the company through two critical roles: (i) ensuring safe and reliable operation of the company’s core infrastructure, and (ii) leading development and execution of the company’s strategic plan. In these roles, this leader will serve as a tireless advocate for VGS’s long-term vision to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in line with Vermont’s Global Warming Solutions Act requirements. This individual will be a prominent culture leader at VGS and will work to create a genuine sense of belonging and foster employee growth.
As the leader of teams focused on VGS’s core infrastructure, the Vice President, Operations & Strategy will:
- Lead a highly skilled technical team of 40+ employees including engineering, construction, transmission & distribution maintenance, measurement and control, and gas control.
- Manage programs and initiatives that ensure the safety and reliability of the system for employees, customers, and the public.
- Develop frontline employees’ training, skills, and experience as the company evolves and transforms customer offerings.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive plan to create an integrated system of record for VGS’s technical maps, records, and data.
- In close collaboration with the Vice President for Customer & Energy Services and the Safety team, continuously improve the inventory of critical technical skills through training and systematic knowledge transfer.
- Serve as Incident Commander during operations-related emergency events.
- Develop and manage annual and long-term capital construction plans and budgets.
As the leader of strategy, the Vice President, Operations & Strategy will:
- Apply their seasoned ability to support and advance VGS’s innovative initiatives to achieve ambitious greenhouse gas reduction targets.
- Collaborate with CEO, senior leadership, and the Board of Directors to develop and execute the organization’s strategic plan and organizational initiatives.
- Formalize and sponsor the development of the organization’s strategic planning processes, in close collaboration with the CEO and Vice Presidents for Finance and Regulatory.
- Translate strategy for people across functions and business units, sponsoring organizational change in partnership with the Senior Director of People & Safety, to forge new working relationships and collaboration across the organization.
- Assess whether strategic initiatives, at all levels of the organization, are in line with the company’s standards and objectives.
- Identify and coordinate business development opportunities, in close partnership with Vice Presidents for Decarbonization Technology and Customer & Energy Services.
- Work closely with senior leadership to establish greater transparency and accountability for all who are carrying out the company’s strategy.
- Collaborate with VGS corporate partners to ensure coordination and alignment of strategic plans to achieve enterprise-wide priorities.
Preferred education and/or experience:
- Demonstrated experience with technical utility operation functions, including the leadership of diverse technical teams with wide-ranging skillsets.
- Proven business planning and management skills, with experience delivering quarterly and annual goals and multi-year initiatives.
- Ability to support development of complex business plans using data to drive strategy.
- Demonstrated experience with increasing responsibilities in strategic planning and business development, preferably in the energy or utility space,
- Experience translating broad strategies into specific objectives and action plans and problem-solving to ensure plan progress.
- Experience with enterprise-wide planning, including corporate and outside partners.
- Experience identifying trends and developments that could result in strategic opportunities for the organization.
- Deep understanding of the energy regulatory landscape strongly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player that can operate independently in fast-paced workplace.
- Must have a commitment to safety, a passion for helping customers, and a drive for fighting climate change.
- Ability to establish open, respectful, and candid relationships and exhibit a high degree of professional ethics.
- Continuously seeks to evolve, learn, and grow.
- Experience within a union environment preferred.
In addition to offering competitive salaries, VGS offers a robust benefits package that includes:
- Comprehensive health insurance plan options including medical, dental, vision, and HSA/FSA options
- Generous Vacation Time
- Sick Leave Time
- Short-term Incentive Bonus
- $10,000 Yearly Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Maternity & Paternity Leave
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 3X Salary Life Insurance
- Short-term disability and long-term disability Insurance
- 401K Retirement Plans
- Wellness program initiatives, activities, and $100 wellness reimbursement
- Fun employee events and activities
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Access to an electric vehicle (EV) charging station
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective, and thought. If you are considering applying for this position, chances are that you have transferable skills that will help you be successful in this role. Candidates across all markers of identity (age, race, gender, ability, communication style, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply, even if every skill requirement does not match perfectly. VGS believes in continuous improvement, and we support our employees in achieving goals and objectives.
Visit our Career Page or apply here!