Public Policy Manager | Full Time
Location: Montpelier, VT, USA
VBSR is a statewide, nonprofit business association with an enduring mission to leverage the power of business for positive social and environmental impact. Our diverse membership represents all sectors and geographic regions of Vermont – from sole proprietors to the largest employers in the state – all working toward a just, thriving, and transformative economy that works for all people and the planet.
For more than 30 years, VBSR has advocated for policy initiatives that recognize that what is good for people, communities, and the environment is also good for business. From our beginnings as a small group of pioneering businesses to today’s network of thousands, VBSR members have continued to prove themselves leaders, innovators, and influencers, with impact reaching far beyond the workplace: our members have shaped the Vermont brand, advanced leading-edge policy, and fueled the social responsibility movement.
VBSR’s Public Policy Manager helps give our members a voice on sustainable economic development and social equity issues. The manager develops and implements VBSR policy programs and services in consultation with VBSR’s Executive Director, and works closely with VBSR’s Public Policy Committee, advocating for policy priorities developed by the committee. The Public Policy Manager will advance VBSR’s policy priorities through legislative lobbying and strategies, research, outreach, and education, in consultation with VBSR’s Public Policy Committee, study committees, and issue groups, as well as VBSR members.
Issues and Advocacy
- Gather data from VBSR members and other internal and external sources to inform VBSR’s public policy process and its understanding of relevant policy issues.
- Recommend policy priorities, goals, and strategies for the organization’s policy work, working with the Public Policy Committee and Board.
- Monitor and track developments of legislative and regulatory proposals related to VBSR’s policy issues.
- Provide testimony on VBSR’s behalf to legislative and other decision-makers and also identify and coordinate testimony from others.
- Identify and implement potential collaborations in support of VBSR policy goals and strategies.
- Organize meetings of the Public Policy Committee, study committees, and issue groups.
Communication and Outreach
- Communicate VBSR positions, policies, goals, and strategies to VBSR members, decision-makers, and the public through presentations, events, earned media, paid media, email, blog posts, social media, and other media.
- Plan and execute public policy events, including forums, annual legislative breakfast, town halls, webinars, and other events – both in-person and virtual.
- Research and draft VBSR policy positions and lead the position approval process.
- Research and draft VBSR policy goals and lead the goal approval process.
- Work with other VBSR staff to forward the organization’s work and mission.
- Be a positive contributor to VBSR Staff Team and team-wide efforts, including membership growth, events, and organizational development.
- Demonstrated interest in socially responsible public policy.
- Demonstrated understanding of business needs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Highly diplomatic and persuasive; Ability to build rapport.
- Good analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to handle fast-changing, time-sensitive matters in stressful situations.
- Ability to both work independently as well as with teams, committees, and coalitions.
- VBSR does not keep a physical office. Duties will primarily be performed remotely, at the Vermont Statehouse during the Legislative Session, and in-person in locations in Vermont. Some additional travel may be required.
- Evening work may occasionally be required in order to attend events.
- This position requires sitting at a desk and working with a computer and phone for long periods of time.
Excellence in this position would include:
- Significant advancement of VBSR‘s policy priorities and policy goals.
- High visibility and deep public understanding of VBSR’s policy positions and the reasoning underlying the positions.
- Policy resources are sufficient for organizational growth, including information, funding, and collaborative relationships.
VBSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Those who identify as women and non-binary, people of color, veterans, individuals with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and other individuals from underrepresented populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position Type: Permanent, Full-Time, Salaried, Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary Range: $50,000-65,000/yr, Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Health and dental insurance; SIMPLE retirement plan contribution; Flexible schedule and remote work; Reimbursement for remote work expenses; Strong organizational culture supporting work-life balance
Deadline: June 7, 2021 12:00 am
Applications must be received by Sunday, June 6. Applications should include a cover letter to the attention of “Search Committee” and resume. Applications and inquiries may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.