Telecom Network Field Technician | Full Time
Location: 366 Pinnacle Ridge Road, Rutland, VT, USA
Why you should join our team
As VELCO’s Telecom Network Field Technician, under routine direction, you will configure, implement, and support voice, data, RF and network communications systems. Monitor communications performance using visual, diagnostic equipment, status indicator checking methods, etc., to locate problems. Utilize electronic and TDM SONET equipment and tools. OTDR fiber cable testing. Support local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) system upgrades and changes. Provide maintenance support for various systems, message centers, or other computer-automated communications systems. Coordinate service with external customers and vendors. Experience in DWDM and OTN technologies is desirable.
How you will make an impact
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in supporting a carrier grade communications network throughout Vermont.
- Establishes communications systems by installing, operating, and maintaining voice and data telecommunications network circuits and equipment.
- Plans network installations by studying customer orders, plans, manuals, and technical specifications; ordering and gathering equipment, supplies, materials, and tools; assessing installation site; and preparing an installation diagram.
- Maintains complex voice and data networks at locations around Vermont using advanced test equipment / procedures.
- Verifies service by testing circuits, equipment, and alarms; and identifying, correcting, or escalating problems.
- Documents network by labeling and routing equipment and cables and recording configuration diagrams and specifications.
- Maintains network by troubleshooting and repairing outages, testing network back-up procedures, and updating documentation.
- Maintains customer rapport by listening to and resolving concerns and answering questions.
- Maintains safe work environment by following codes, standards, and legal regulations.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock, placing orders, and verifying receipt.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading technical publications.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Participate in a rotating on-call schedule.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, you must have an associate degree or 2+ years of formal technical training or equivalent combination of related training and experience. Incumbents typically possess 4-6 years of related experience, including Data Center / Central Office installation, VOIP, SIP Trunking implementations, and networking protocols including DNS, DHCP, VPNs, WAN/LAN TCP/IP.
Experience with Fiber Optic transport networks, cable termination, cleaning and testing is a plus.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
- Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
- Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
- Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
- Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
- Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
- Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
- Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
- Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
- VELCO utilizes a hybrid work schedule. Travel to the Rutland campus is expected at least twice per week
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
The Fine Print
Telecommunications and Technologies knowledge
Functional and technical skills
Attention to detail
This position requires support of VELCO facilities throughout Vermont. Must have and maintain a valid Vermont driver’s license. Work is routinely performed where there is exposure to inclement weather. Requires scheduled and unscheduled overtime. Must live within a reasonable distance of assigned headquarters for on-call and emergency response purposes. Duties will require periodic overnight travel, including occasional out-of-state assignments. Required to carry a pager and respond to off-duty emergency calls. Must be physically able access remote locations on rugged terrain and occasionally lift heavy equipment (up to 50 lbs). Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex work, with competing priorities, within tight timelines.
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Telecom Network Engineer will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Telecom Network Technician at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Telecom Network Engineer is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
Please apply at https://velco.breezy.hr/