Systems Engineer | Full Time
89 North®, a wholly owned subsidiary of Chroma Technology Corp, develops innovative products for the biomedical imaging market. We focus on development of high-performance light sources for fluorescence-based applications including fluorescence microscopy, automated DNA sequencing, HTS/HCS, real time PCR and microarray analysis
We have an exciting opportunity for a Systems Engineer!
JOIN OUR AWARD-WINNING TEAM! Recognized as a Best Places to Work in Vermont and awarded the DCD Outstanding Vermont Business of the Year, Chroma Technology Corp. is a 100% employee-owned company and certified B corporation. We are able to offer an extremely generous package of benefits, rewards, and a value-driven work environment. Join our team of collaborative employee-owners who are self-motivated, independent workers willing to strategize and together work towards the long-term prosperity of the company.
The Systems Engineer provides technical leadership of interdisciplinary product development and realization, serving as the project lead for concurrent projects spanning the product lifecycle and involving electrical, mechanical, optical, and software engineering disciplines. The Systems Engineer is responsible for leading the technical and technical management processes associated with the development, improvement, and sustaining engineering of products.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Lead interdisciplinary technical teams with a systems perspective in the design, development, and continual improvement of 89 North products and technical solutions
- Effectively collaborate with team members to understand and communicate stakeholder objectives, establish technical and relevant regulatory requirements, recognize risks and issues, and conceive robust solutions
- Establish and maintain project plans, coordinating with management, project managers, and team members on resource allocation needs; track status and report as requested
- Provide technical leadership and foster innovative solutions by leveraging technical expertise and sound technical decision-making approaches
- Create and maintain appropriate project documentation to assure robust product development and realization
- Plan and facilitate interdisciplinary technical reviews to advance efforts and ensure design control
- Oversee and/or execute design verification and product validation/qualification activities
- Coordinate and oversee certification activities performed by external test laboratories
- Lead and/or collaborate on the generation of new product proposals
- Serve as a primary technical customer interface for OEM products in the commercialization process
- Lead or contribute to operational/sustaining initiatives/projects as requested
- Provide coaching, support and motivation to team members to help them achieve project objectives
- Collaborate with manufacturing and process engineer to develop production processes, KPIs, and quality tests
- Contribute to the development and continual improvement of quality management system processes; drive continual improvement of product development and realization
- Manage external contracted resources allocated to projects
Required Education, Experience, and Eligibility Qualifications:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field
- A minimum of 7 years experience leading interdisciplinary development projects
- Command of systems engineering principles and discipline
- Experienced technical project management skills and ability to oversee multiple concurrent activities
- Experienced in leading and motivating interdisciplinary teams, interacting with various levels of the organization
- Experienced in requirements management and design-to-manufacture
- Thorough understanding of good engineering practices, including quality
- Knowledge of or ability to navigate relevant harmonized standards (EN, IEC, UL) and regulatory requirements (EU directives, CFRs)
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (verbal, listening, teaching, technical writing)
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Self-directed and detail oriented with ability to multitask
Preferred Education, Experience, and Eligibility Qualifications:
- Master’s degree or advanced degree or certification in engineering or related field
- 10+ years experience in interdisciplinary technical product development leadership
- Electro-opto-mechanical product development experience
- Product development and manufacture experience in an ISO 9001 environment
- Understanding of systems engineering standards, e.g. INCOSE, ISO/IEC 15288
Prospective and/or new employees will be required to comply with 89 North’s COVID vaccination, testing, and face covering requirements. The requirements include proof of at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose prior to the start of employment and verification of the second dose within 30 days of the start of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to applicable vaccination requirements and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Applicants in need of an exemption due to a sincerely held religious belief or disability should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please visit our career page at www.89north.com to review the full job description, summary of benefits, and to apply online.
89 North is an employee-owned company and equal opportunity employer.
Please apply at our website: