Software Developer | Full Time
Category: Consulting and/or Training
VEIC seeks an Application Developer to join our Data Analytics team. In this role you will join a team responsible for the ingest, storage, and presentation of energy data. These systems support VEIC’s energy efficiency programs, contributing to real-world energy savings and greenhouse gas reductions by increasing the reach and impact of energy data insights. You will be working on the backend with our IT team to deliver data ingest pipelines and storage solutions and on the front end to develop data analytics web apps for use by our data analysts and energy consultants. For 2023 we’re gearing up to engage with new data sources that will enable and empower VEIC’s energy efficiency and decarbonization work. We also hope to develop internal APIs and automated metrics to speed the development of new tools and analyses.
This is a small and nimble team, and we’re seeking a developer that will welcome the opportunity to engage directly with end users, provide input and recommendations on technology solutions, and is open to learning, both on the development side and in relation to VEIC’s energy work. The scope of the position will combine and leverage skills in software development, data engineering, and devops to meet the needs of the organization and position its data analytics systems at the forefront of the rapidly changing energy industry.
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective, and thought. Climate change impacts all of us; however, we are impacted differently based on our identities and experiences. We all deserve a place at the table to make decisions about our collective future – we hope you’ll consider joining us as we work towards our vision for a healthy planet, thriving people, and energy justice.
Candidates across all markers of identity (age, race, gender, ability, communication style, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply.
- Produces, implements, and supports data analytics software for internal and external clients.
- Designs, develops, documents, and maintains software solutions enabling the derivation of useful information from available data sources, such as Smart Meter data; sub-meter, smart thermostat, and other sensor data; building operations and production data; public data; etc. as part of VEIC’s custom software environment.
- Continuously reviews and improves data acquisition, management, and analysis systems, applications, and tools as needed, ensuring quality and alignment with internal and industry best practices.
- Works with Data Analytics and project teams to develop solutions including aspects of software and data architecture; user requirements; user interface/experience design; testing/QA; maintenance; documentation; source code control; continuous integration and release management.
- Provides support to the activities of VEIC as necessary to accomplish organizational goals and objectives.
- Strong personal commitment to the mission, vision, goals, and values of VEIC.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, and/or engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience developing software, preferably including at least 3 years of direct experience with data-centric software development, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills were acquired.
- Current tool set includes Python, on premise and cloud databases (Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Snowflake), front end web frameworks (Flask, Streamlit), orchestration tools (Airflow/Prefect), containerization using Docker, and AWS. Seeking demonstrated ability with these tools or comparable systems and a willingness to learn quickly on the job.
- Proficiency with data mining, information retrieval, machine learning, and/or statistics; documentation of analysis procedures and functions; development of analysis and computational tools.
- Proficiency with data acquisition concepts, software, libraries.
- Proficiency with refactoring, unit testing, and object-oriented programming techniques.
- Experience using version control systems such as Git or Subversion.
- Ability to work together with data analysts to provide mentorship and cross-training in software development, leading to improved code quality and adherence to best software development practices.
- Experience with C# and .NET technologies.
- Experience in devops and software release practices.
- Subject matter knowledge in timeseries data management and analysis techniques.
- Subject matter knowledge in energy industry data and practices.
Please apply on our website: https://careers-veic.icims.com/jobs/1354/software-developer/job