Senior Technical Energy Analyst | Full Time
Category: Environmental Products/Services
VEIC seeks a Senior Technical Energy Analyst to join our Evaluation Measurement and Verification team. In this position you will serve in a senior evaluation support role, facilitating third-party impact and process evaluations of VEIC’s Energy Efficiency Utility program activities, leading quality assurance and review for custom project analyses and Technical Reference Manual development, and mentoring and advising staff on our EM&V, Engineering, Regulatory, and program teams. We are seeking candidates that have direct program evaluation or engineering design experience, with comfort applying those skillsets in contexts ranging from direct project review to long-term strategic planning. There will be a strong focus on savings estimates and M&V related to complex custom energy efficiency projects, particularly industrial process and large-scale HVAC. In addition to supporting the evaluation of such projects, you may also be involved in the development of standardized analysis methods and tools to substantiate project impacts. Our team also assists with program planning, product development, and R&D efforts, with support tasks ranging from the review of emerging energy efficiency technologies to determining the impact of updated codes and standards on VEIC’s programs.
- Demonstrates a high degree of independence and effectiveness in technical review of complex commercial, industrial, multifamily and residential projects to ensure compliance with VEIC performance contracts and ISO-NE (or similar) demand savings claim methodology. Supports the Technical Services Department staff by acting as senior project advisor, providing mentoring, and quality assurance for a variety of projects.
- Leads efforts in applying technical expertise to assist and/or train the Technical Services Group, Engineering staff and other groups within VEIC, to include the following areas:
- Mentors, guides and advises staff (technical tools, methodology and technical policies)
- Custom, Prescriptive and Program level screening
- Savings verification
- Custom Analysis Methodology Review
- Technical policies (development and review)
- Measure characterizations (development and review)
- Technical quality assurance activities
- CAT (build, repair and amend tool as needed)
- Drafts and defends expert witness testimony as it relates to regulatory filings.
- Reviews custom and prescriptive protocols
- Statistical data analysis to guide assumptions
- Supports the Technical Manager in the savings verification process and technical quality assurance activities, including providing training, developing policies and procedures, and participating in periodic technical reviews.
- Develops, procures, and maintains the energy efficiency and other technical analysis tools necessary for efficient, appropriate and accurate technical analysis and reporting of energy efficiency measures.
- Participates in the implementation of the ISO-NE Measurement and Verification Plan. Supports technical quality assurance activities.
- Collaborates with the evaluators and/or regulators through the TAG and Savings Verification processes.
- Responsible for technical training developments and review of technical training material including custom analysis, for performance contract services across VEIC.
- Stays abreast of evaluation findings of energy efficiency at regional, national and international levels, and may represent VEIC at associated forums.
- Develops and delivers technical sessions and other opportunities for training and sharing of technical information, in cooperation with other Managers.
- Provides support to the activities of VEIC as necessary to accomplish organizational goals and objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Strong personal commitment to VEIC’s mission, goals and values.
- Master’s degree in engineering/engineering management or environmental science and 3 years or Bachelor’s degree plus minimum eight years relevant professional experience or a similar combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills were acquired.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or environmental science plus minimum eight years relevant professional experience or a similar combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills were acquired.
- Experience and strong proficiency with detailed engineering analysis, documentation of analysis procedures, development of analysis tools.
- Demonstrated and applied understanding of building and industrial systems, energy use, construction, and energy analysis techniques.
- Excellent knowledge of modeling software and concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to be organized, detail-oriented, accurate, and able to handle multiple tasks and competing priorities in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to put together concise, articulate communications to internal and external stakeholders.
- Experienced in training technical staff in analysis techniques and software.
- Superior proficiency with spreadsheet, word processing, and database software.
- Technical leadership experience, but not limited to, team leadership, facilitation, reviewing work of others, communications, and the ability to develop and attain goals.
- Ability to develop working relationships with regulators, third-party reviewers, and utility representatives.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in teams.
- Skilled at knowing when to adapt to new challenges, processes and innovation. Demonstrated ability to assist management with productive rollout/implementation and adoption of new processes and measures.
Internal – Work is normally performed in climate-controlled office environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases is very limited. Noise level is moderate and includes sounds of normal office equipment (computers, telephones, etc.). No known environmental hazards are encountered in normal performance of job duties.
External – No travel is required.
Company will provide adaptive devices as needed.
(Work involves standing and walking for brief periods of time, but most duties are performed from a seated position. There is potential for eye strain from reading detailed materials and computer screen. Deadlines, workloads during peak periods and changing priorities may cause increased stress levels. Work may include occasional pushing, pulling, or carrying objects weighing up to 40 pounds such as files, documents, and computer printouts. Work normally requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate computer keyboards at a moderate skill level. Repetitive motion injuries may occur. Company will provide adaptive devices as needed.)
Diversity & Inclusion statement:
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective, and thought. Climate change impacts all of us; however, we are impacted differently based on our identities and experiences. We all deserve a place at the table to make decisions about our collective future – we hope you’ll consider joining us as we work towards our vision for a healthy planet, thriving people, and energy justice.
Candidates across all markers of identity (age, race, gender, ability, communication style, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply.
Please apply on our website: https://careers-veic.icims.com/jobs/1353/senior-technical-energy-analyst/job?mobile=false&width=872&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240