Community College of Vermont
Senior Staff Assistant – CPESEI | Full Time
Location: Vermont, USA
We are looking for a Senior Staff Assistant to join the Corrections Post-Secondary Education Initiative (CPSEI). This is a new, federally funded program working to provide CCV courses to Incarcerated Vermonters and Department of Corrections Staff. The Senior Staff Assistant manages and coordinates day-to day administrative operations and provides program support for Department of Corrections officials, social services agencies, and students affiliated with Vermont’s correction system. The duties handled in this position require problem solving and time management skills, and discretion when working with sensitive information.
The ideal candidate will possess solid decision-making abilities, strong computer skills, a positive attitude, and a commitment to provide a college education and career training for both incarcerated individuals and correctional officers.
This is a 3-year, grant funded position.
- Serve as the initial point of contact for routine inquiries about the CPSEI program offerings. Escalate complex questions and issues as appropriate or as directed.
- Provide information on policies and procedures for the program. Work to resolve problem situations using independent judgment and decision making according to established guidelines and procedures. Confer with colleagues and supervisor, as needed to create business processes and resolve issues.
- Implement the day-to-day operations of CPSEI program including handling routine communications, data processing, reporting, troubleshooting, and reconciliation.
- Coordinate security protocols with CCV and Department of Corrections staff.
- Track and monitor grant-related and financial data, record expenditures and prepare reports according to established procedures.
- Retrieve and compile data from several sources, compare information to verify its completeness and prepare informational and/or statistical reports detailing requisite data.
- Provide support services for Department of Corrections officials, social services agencies, and students affiliated with Vermont’s correction system.
- Confer with prospective students and applicants to exchange information and assist them with and inform them about CCV’s processes and procedures.
- Make student appointments and answer basic financial aid questions.
- Register students for courses.
- Assist in managing the Department of Corrections Programs inbox.
- Build course sections and course descriptions in Colleague ERP or other system(s)
- Manage contract and payment process for CPSEI courses.
- Oversee the process of taking payments and payment reconciliation.
- Troubleshoot multimedia and e-classrooms equipment problems.
- Provide Canvas (Learning Management System) basic support.
- Coordinate meetings (internal and external) and orientations, including preparing materials, making necessary arrangements, and participating in or recording events. Attends ad hoc meetings as required.
- Purchases and initiates orders and may have a p-card
- May provide training to office assistants, student workers, and part time staff in accomplishing a college or work unit project.
Minimum qualifications (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
Education: Associate Degree required.
- 2 years directly related
- Strong technical, communication and interpersonal skills and ability to manage complex systems and details is essential.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in processing a variety of financial and non-financial transactions, verify accuracy, prepare necessary forms or reports, post transactions, and reconcile and retrieve information as needed.
- Knowledge and skill in various word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, and integrated information software, systems.
- Knowledge of specific processes, policies, and procedures of office management and workflow procedures to include effective management of workload, i.e. prioritizing, and organizing work.
- Ability to manage stressful situations with thoughtfulness.
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with culturally diverse populations, college administrators, faculty, staff, students, and the public.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team in accomplishing tasks.
- Ability to analyze situations, develop solutions, and make independent decisions based on established guidelines.
Physical Requirements: Duties performed causes light fatigue of eyes, fingers, or other faculties as a result of repetitive motion and/or long periods of standing or sitting. Duties require little physical effort in work with light to moderate (up to 25lbs) easy to handle materials.
Working Conditions: Job is performed in general office or comparable working area with many and frequent distractions such as noise and interruptions. Work schedule may vary during high volume periods. Occasional visits to spaces within correctional institutions across the state will be necessary.
This general outline illustrates the type of work which characterizes the job classification. It is not an all-encompassing statement of the specific duties, responsibilities and qualifications of individual positions assigned to the classification.
CCV values individual differences that can be engaged in the service of learning. Diverse experiences from people of varied backgrounds inform and enrich our community. CCV strongly encourages applications from historically marginalized and underrepresented populations. CCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer, in compliance with ADA requirements, and will make reasonable accommodations for the known disability of an otherwise qualified applicant.
All new full-time employees and certain part-time employees will be subject to a fingerprint-supported criminal background check. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the satisfactory results of this check.
In order to be considered, please submit a complete application package which includes a cover letter, resume/CV, employment application and contact information for three professional references by clicking on the apply now button at the top right of this posting on the CCV Website: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/VER1019VTSC/JobBoard/20d4a078-7636-4829-8831-6c7facde2d41/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=4982fa95-7880-481b-9be4-066e38702c0e