Senior Network, Systems, and Security Administrator | Full Time
Location: 85 Swift Street, South Burlington, VT, USA
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Senior Network, Systems, and Security Administrator is an integral member of the IT Team that keeps all network and server infrastructure running smoothly and operational at VGS. They are responsible for overseeing firewalls, routers, servers, and storage hardware. They work closely with members of the IT Team to ensure system availability, reliability, and resilience of critical IT systems.
As the organization advances innovative initiatives towards a Net Zero Plan by 2050, this individual will be instrumental in exploring new systems and processes that support our evolving customer offerings. They demonstrate superior customer service skills, contribute positively to a collaborative team environment, and seek out opportunities for continual improvement.
WHAT ARE THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS POSITION?
- Develops plans and initiatives to migrate relevant VGS computing workloads and infrastructure to appropriate cloud solutions collaboratively with the Technology Team.
- Provides 24 x 7 on-call support as part of a scheduled rotation with other Technology Team members.
- Participates in the implementation and maintenence of LAN/WAN and wireless platforms supporting complex data, voice and SCADA infrastructure.
- Creates and maintains procedures and documentation for use by contractors and other Technology Team members.
- Shares their knowledge and expertise with others. Trains and mentors junior Technology Team members.
- Configures and maintains VLANs, setup DHCP scopes, DNS records on firewall and on windows servers.
- Installs and maintains new and existing network equipment, servers; physical and virtual, and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, and storage.
- Participates in short-term and long-term planning and implementing of VGS technology infrastructure.
- Provides backup support to other Technology Team members as needed.
- Provides Tier II/III Support and trains Tier I support staff.
- Participates as a senior contributor and in some cases leads infrastructure and security initiatives and/or projects.
- Develops, tests, and implements business continuity and disaster recovery plans. Maintains and updates plans, as necessary.
- Continuously develops new skills with emerging and potentially useful technologies.
- Other duties as may be required or assigned.
DESIRED SKILLS FOR THIS ROLE:
- The individual in this position should possess effective problem-solving skills that enables them to successfully respond to both routine and non-routine problems. The ideal candidate would be proactive in identifying issues before they become problems.
- They are resourceful and can refer to policies, procedures and/or others for guidance and support.
- They are committed to continuous improvement and exhibit curiosity about possibilities that could enhance customer service and/or create efficiencies.
- They have excellent written and verbal communication skills to successfully interact with a diverse population of people including customers, employees, vendors, and other external stakeholders.
- They can breakdown complex information and communicate it in a way that others can understand.
- They are a “go to” collaborator and work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- They respond to conflict in a positive and professional manner by seeking solutions to resolve issues.
- They treat confidential information with the utmost integrity.
- They are familiar with project planning methodologies, processes, or tools.
- They have excellent analytical and attention to detail skills that are useful for tracking and monitoring critical data.
- They have experience automating administrative tasking using scripting or automation tools.
- They demonstrate a willingness to learn and gain an understanding of general business operations including how teams/departments functions relate to one another.
- They have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, the Physical Sciences, or another technical field, or equivalent related experience described below.
- They possess between 5 to 7 years of broad IT experience specifically working in IT infrastructure support covering networks, storage, servers and security including network design and maintenance, server hardening, backup and disaster recovery.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective, and thought. Chances are, if you are considering applying for this position, you have transferable skills that will help you be successful in this role. Candidates across all markers of identity (age, race, gender, ability, communication style, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply, even if every skill requirement does not match perfectly, because we believe in continuous improvement and support our employees in achieving goals and objectives.