Downstreet Housing & Community Development
Senior Accountant | Full Time
Location: 22 Keith Ave. Ste. 100
We are currently looking for a Senior Accountant to join our team!
The Senior Accountant/Analyst positions is a full-time, salaried position supervised by the CFO. The Senior Accountant/Analyst is responsible for the corporate accounting of Downstreet Housing & Community Development. Downstreet is a non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to strengthen the communities of Central Vermont by engaging with people, providing affordable homes, and connecting people to the resources and services they need to thrive.
- Process tenant receivables in accounting system (Boston Post); scan all checks, prepare deposit tickets and make bank deposits.
- Initiate and process authorized agreements for pre-arranged payments and ACH payments.
- Process tenant security deposits, refunds or transfers.
- Perform accounts receivable reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Maintain current accounts receivable files.
- Receive and verify all invoices and requisitions for goods and services for Downstreet administration, Downstreet owned properties, limited partnership properties, and managed properties.
- Verify that all A/P transactions comply with financial policies and procedures.
- Prepare batches of invoices for data entry, including verifying coding of each invoice by property, grant, fund, project, etc.
- Obtain department approval on all invoices to be paid.
- Manage and monitor all questionable invoices, investigate any that seem out of the norm. Discuss with appropriate department head.
- Enter data for all invoices and maintenance of current vendor information.
- Manage check runs for all AP batches. This also includes the maintenance of all bank account check stock and deposit tickets, and reordering as needed.
- Obtain signatures on checks and prepare for mailing.
- Maintain current accounts payable files.
- Perform accounts payable reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Financial Statement preparation and analysis.
- Reporting financials, Property/Organizational Department level to internal and external sources
- Budgeting and variance analysis.
- Preparing account analysis and adjusting entries.
- Aides in the preparation of Organizational and property budgets.
- Cash flow projections and forecasting.
- Support program Managers in preparing budget and interprets results.
- Provide support and analysis of expenses to external audit firms
- Complete monthly bank reconciliations on accounts as assigned by the CFO.
- Complete monthly trial balance reconciliations on properties as assigned by the CFO.
- Prepare quarterly reports as assigned by CFO.
- Prepare VT Landlord’s Certificates, Nonprofit Mobile Home Parks and lease land property tax allocable letter in accordance with directives from the Vermont Department of taxes.
- Calculate and prepare all vendors 1099’s at year end.
- Compute estimated taxes and prepare tax deposits for 990T, ensuring compliance with payment, reporting or other tax requirement.
- Create and post journal entries as needed, with the approval of the CFO.
- Process replacement reserve transfers as needed.
- Provide CFO with support related to processing payroll, human resources duties and the management of administrative and property insurance as needed.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
- Provide support to CFO and other members of the accounting department as needed.
Desired Job Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree with emphasis in public or business administration, accounting or similar course work and/or equivalent experience.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience with non-profit accounting.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and initiative in solving problems.
- Must possess working knowledge of Word and Excel spreadsheets.
- Commitment to social and economic justice.
- Excellent ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with residents and fellow employees.
Physical and Mental Abilities
The Accountant must have the physical and mental abilities to perform the essential job duties listed above. However, reasonable accommodation may be extended to help perform those duties. There will be prolonged periods of computer work. While performing the essential duties of this job the Accountant may have to use hands and fingers, walk, stand, reach, or lift up to 25 pounds.
Employer Rights and Disclaimers
This job description is not a contract for employment; it is a list of duties and expectations. However, this should not be considered a complete list of expected duties. Duties may be added, dropped, or changed at any time.
The job qualifications may change at any time. Downstreet may add, drop, or change any qualifications for the position in order to fit changes in the organization. This job description should not be interpreted as a complete list of job qualifications.
This document does not extend an offer for permanent or continuous employment. Downstreet is an at-will employer.
To apply online, visit https://downstreet.org/employment-opportunities. Please include a resume and a cover letter explaining why you would like to be a part of the Downstreet team. Applications submitted without a cover letter will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
Downstreet is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.