Vermont Community Loan Fund
Senior Accountant | Full Time
Location: PO Box 827, 7 School Street
The Vermont Community Loan Fund (VCLF) is a nonprofit financial institution that provides loans and other resources to local businesses, community organizations & nonprofits, early care & learning providers and developers of affordable housing. We develop and promote innovative capital-based solutions to issues of poverty and opportunity. With over $50 million in assets, VCLF is Vermont’s largest Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). VCLF is a mission-driven lender, creating opportunities that lead to healthy communities and financial stability for all Vermonters. Learn more at www.investinvermont.org.
Diversity, justice, and inclusion are key values within VCLF. We are committed to building and sustaining an inclusive, equitable working environment for our staff. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design, and deliver solutions.
VCLF is hiring a Senior Accountant to apply principles of accounting to record and analyze financial information and prepare financial reports for internal and external customers. This includes responsibility for all general ledger accounting transactions, maintaining general and subsidiary ledgers, government reporting, and preparing the financial statements. The Senior Accountant provides analytical support to the Director of Finance, and works closely with the Administrative Manager to assure accurate and timely data entry.
Ideally a 40-hour per week role, but willing to consider a part-time position for the right candidate. This is a non-exempt position based in Montpelier, VT.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews daily transactions prepared and entered by Administrative Manager/bookkeeper
- Prepares and processes general journal and adjusting journal transactions
- Ensures strong internal controls are in place and effectively utilized
- Ensures the general ledger and subsidiary ledgers are accurate and reconciled
- Backs up bookkeeper when needed for all financial tasks – data entry, cash disbursements and receipts, and reporting.
- Ensures accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close
- Prepares all financial statements and ensures accuracy and adherence to GAAP
- Completes financial schedules and reports for all internal and external customers
- Researches and resolves variances, discrepancies or out of balance conditions
- Alerts the Director of Finance to any problem financial issues
Financial Policies and Procedures
- Evaluates and improves financial systems and procedures
- Generates work instructions and department procedures
- Manages the preparation of schedules for the year-end financials and A-133 audit
- Assists preparation of audit financial statements and footnotes
- Maintains internal controls
- Assists in preparation of various Federal reporting requirements
- Special projects as assigned
- Assist in logging tickets with 3rd party Information Technology (IT) provider and help troubleshoot various IT problems
Successful Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for this Position:
- Four or more years of general ledger accounting and financial statement preparation experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance and/or business administration or commensurate experience
- Self-motivated team player with strong ability to interact with others
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports and summaries as needed.
- Ability to be organized, detail oriented, and ability to manage time and priorities independently.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently both independently, and collaboratively.
- Motivated by and dedicated to social and economic opportunities for all.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for the Position:
- Experience with Abila MIP Fund Accounting software or other fund accounting software and Nortridge Loan software or other loan processing software
- Experience in non-profit financial accounting or loan accounting is highly beneficial
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel and Access, email and the internet
VCLF is an equal opportunity employer. This position is up to a 40-hour-per-week, non-exempt position with generous benefits including health, retirement, and paid leave. VCLF offers a flexible work environment. Beginning wage range is $24.00 – $29.00 per hour.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com or VCLF, PO Box 827, Montpelier, VT 05601.