The Scott Farm
Scott Farm Orchardist | Full Time
Category: Agriculture Products/Services
Location: 707 Kipling Road, Dummerston, VT, USA
Orchardist sought for Historic Scott Farm
The Scott Farm, a Certified B Corporation located in Dummerston, Vermont, seeks a full-time, year-round Orchardist. Highly regarded, the Scott Farm Orchard is known throughout the State and region for its high quality and extensive selection of 130 heirloom apple varieties and other fruits. The Orchardist works with a knowledgeable and talented staff throughout the year. Together they maintain the orchard and bring our fruit to customers of our onsite Farm Market as well as markets and coops throughout the Northeast. This team includes our hardworking crew that comes from Jamaica every year to hand-pick, grade, and pack the fruit.
A great candidate will have knowledge of (and ongoing curiosity for) orchard operation, entomology, and various types of fruit trees. They will enjoy physical work and working outdoors year-round on a range of tasks including the operation and maintenance of orchard and farm equipment. Our next Orchardist must be able to perform the job requirements, as well as monitor and teach others in carrying out all duties necessary for orchard maintenance and fruit production (pruning, grafting, planting, fertilizing, spraying, thinning, mowing, harvesting, and storage of fruit). This position requires someone who likes a balance of independence and teamwork. Core competencies for the position include:
- Orchard Knowledge & Abilities – extensive knowledge of apple and other fruit trees and factors that impact their productivity as well as orchard maintenance skills
- Leadership Skills – help others work to their potential, inspire team to achieve critical goals, and cultivate a professional and enjoyable work environment
- Communication Skills – strong, professional verbal and written skills when interacting with a wide-range of stakeholders (staff, public, management, Board of Directors)
- Management Oversight – effectively prioritize tasks, manage resources, and maintain vital record-keeping
- Collaboration Skills – work effectively with others to achieve common goals that support the mission of Scott Farm Orchard
A detailed job description can be found at https://scottfarmvermont.com/employment/. To apply please send your resume and cover letter describing your interest and your approach to the position via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.