Qualitative Consumer Insights Researcher | Full Time
Location: 180 Industrial Parkway
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the mountains. We fight for the future of our sport, people and planet and we try to have as much fun as possible while doing it! Bringing people together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences is how we ride together every day.
This role will focus on bringing the voice of the consumer to product, marketing, strategy, and commerce teams via data-backed insights with the goal of making everything we do at Burton more consumer centric. You will be responsible for planning, managing, and executing global qualitative consumer insights research in support of Burton’s key business objectives. You’ll be a strategic leader and partner to internal teams, working with them to define consumer-based learning objectives, sharing insights that give them a better understanding of consumer needs and problems, and guiding impactful solutions. This is an exciting opportunity to lead Burton in developing consumer empathy and understanding through qualitative research and to explore & introduce best practices on qualitative research methodologies and analysis to the organization.
Burton’s benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), life insurance (company paid), flex spending, short- and long-term disability insurance (company paid), parental benefits, 401k plan with company match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, free lessons, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, casual work environment, and many more…
What You Get To Do:
- Acting as an internal thought leader for generative and evaluative qualitative research efforts. Includes scoping and recruiting, method selection, research findings / presentation, and doing research throughout the product or marketing lifecycle from strategic discovery to tactical evaluation.
- Conducting and analyzing qualitative research to derive actionable insights about our consumers’ needs, attitudes, behaviors, pain points, and preferences in both general ways (Who are they? How can we solve problems for them?) and specific ways (How can we improve this current product or marketing experience?).
- Collaborating with internal stakeholders to define the “questions to be answered” and then designing a testing methodology, timeline, and scope to investigate those questions.
- Leading the execution and interpretation of a variety of qualitative research studies, including but not limited to in-person observation and ethnography (e.g. in-homes, on-snow), focus groups, interviews, online discussion boards, and mobile ethnographies.
- Translating insight to action, identifying strategic opportunities, and providing actionable recommendations for business strategy, including current product line, messaging, merchandising, new consumer needs, white spaces and target audience segments.
- Preparing written research reports and other internal or external communications summarizing research methods, findings, and implications. Communicating the most pertinent results in a way that is useful and easy to understand.
- Developing and maintaining company-wide best practices for qualitative research.
- Engaging and influence senior executives & functional leaders with strategic recommendations based on research findings.
What You’ll Bring To The Team:
Necessary technical skills & expertise:
- 3+ years of experience in leading end-to-end qualitative market and design research, from scoping and planning to conducting, analyzing, and reporting
- Breadth and depth of experience in a variety of qualitative methods, including but not limited to in-person observation and ethnography (e.g. in-homes, on-snow), focus groups, interviews, online discussion boards, and mobile ethnographies
- Experience applying qualitative insights to business strategy and decision making at all levels of the research funnel, from discovery to tactical evaluation & validation
- Ability to simplify complex concepts and easily understandable to partners outside of the Insights community
- Strong communication and data visualization skills, i.e. translating complex concepts into everyday terms and influence both peers and senior leadership
- Skilled at creating impactful, engaging, and cohesive research reports
- A clear, empathetic communicator (both in person and in writing)
Necessary behaviors and mindset:
- Natural curiosity and passionate for understanding consumer behavior and attitudes
- Skilled at active and deep listening
- An optimistic, high-energy problem solver
- Collaborative and excited to work with many different teams
- Proactive, adaptable, and comfortable managing shifting timelines and priorities
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Results-oriented person with the ability to balance numerous tasks and utilize all available resources with a high sense of urgency, self motivation, and commitment to quality.
- Passion for seeking out innovative research methods
Our HQ is based in Burlington, Vermont. We will offer relocation assistance to any candidate who is hired if they are able to move to Burlington.
If living in Burlington is not an option, we are absolutely open to candidates living in/working from other locations (in the US). In this scenario, we would expect the person hired to spend ~one week/month at Burton’s HQ in Burlington, and when not in Burlington to generally be available during eastern time zone hours.
And whether located in Burlington or elsewhere, the person hired will be expected to travel to Burton locations in the US and internationally on a regular basis.
The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.