Public Relations Manager (Efficiency Vermont) | Full Time
The Public Relations Manager oversees the effective management of Efficiency Vermont’s reputation and promotion of brand awareness in order to meet strategic and operational business goals. They serve as the public relations lead for Efficiency Vermont with key responsibilities including planning, budgeting, and execution of initiatives across all earned media channels, including statewide and local press, social media, blogs, and other owned content. They work with Efficiency Vermont’s Director of Marketing & Communications and in setting the overarching strategy, delivering results, measuring performance, and driving continuous improvement.
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective, and thought. Climate change impacts all of us; however, we are impacted differently based on our identities and experiences. We all deserve a place at the table to make decisions about our collective future – we hope you’ll consider joining us as we work towards our vision for a healthy planet, thriving people, and energy justice.
Candidates across all markers of identity (age, race, gender, ability, communication style, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply.
- Leads public relations planning and implementation for Efficiency Vermont, translating strategy into action in order to bolster Efficiency Vermont’s leadership position in the state, generate brand awareness, and support customer engagement. Uses data and insights to guide their work.
- Ensures that the public relations plan supports the long-term brand strategy and is aligned with marketing and outreach plans.
- Serves as the first point of contact with reporters, journalists, and bloggers: cultivates relationships, responds to information requests with alacrity, quickly mobilizes public responses when needed, submits relevant and timely pitches, arranges media availabilities organizes press events, and attends key events
- Develops and communicates Efficiency Vermont talking points on public-facing issues to internal leaders to ensure that spokespeople are well supported and are speaking with one voice. Supports training and practice of key staff.
- Prepares spokespeople for interviews, ghostwrites for subject matter experts and—in collaboration with the Communications Content Team—develops blog content that furthers Efficiency Vermont’s business strategy
- Partners with Efficiency Vermont leadership in developing proactive external communications strategy that builds third-party credibility, focusing on rapid and flawless execution.
- Develops communications materials as needed, such as presentations, speeches, talking points, fact-sheets, web content, and more. Maintains a suite of standard tools for use throughout the organization.
- Sets and monitors public relations protocols, including internal procedures for vetting and responding to inquiries, responding to negative news, responsibilities of spokespeople, key messages, and more.
- Represents Efficiency Vermont in a variety of public forums, as required.
- Facilitates collaboration across staff to align messaging and content consistent with organizational policies, public relations and communications objectives.
- Partners with associated communications functions, including customer support, consumer insights, marketing, community engagement, and Public Affairs—bringing the full breadth of communications services to bear in supporting Efficiency Vermont.
- Evaluates the performance of public relations initiatives and drives continuous improvement based on results.
- Manages sub-contractors as needed. This includes leading and implementing the competitive bid processes, writing scopes of work, supporting the execution of contracts, setting and managing to a budget, and supervising contractors.
- Demonstrates regular and effective use of project management tools and practices to ensure that work is completed on time and within budget.
- Stays abreast of trends and best-practices in both public relations and in our industry, and applies those learnings to their work. Teaches and shares knowledge inside and outside of the department.
- Advocates internally for the role of public relations in order to leverage the skills and knowledge within the organization.
- Assumes other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
- Strong personal commitment to the mission, vision, goals and values of VEIC.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and eight years of experience or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Strong internal drive, tenacity, and perseverance to deliver high impact PR results.
- Political and interpersonal savvy: ability to read an audience, attune messages for highest impact, deliver critical feedback respectfully, and guide leaders in high touch situations.
- A demonstrated understanding of integrated public relations (including traditional and digital approaches), and use of data to drive strategy
- Demonstrated ability to build constructive and trusting relationships through use of diplomacy, humility, political savvy, tact and patience.
- Demonstrated excellence in all forms of written and oral communication, including the proven ability to work effectively with members of the media in advancing public relations goals and strategies.
- Proven experience leading and facilitating teams in a cross-functional environment—mobilizing organizational resources to accomplish shared goals.
- The ability to juggle competing priorities at once with poise and resiliency.
- Proven time management skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Proven track record and commitment to work, learn, and grow in a large organizational environment.
- Experience and capability with Microsoft Office applications
Internal – Work is normally performed in climate-controlled office environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases is very limited. Noise level is moderate and includes sounds of normal office equipment (computers, telephones, etc.). No known environmental hazards are encountered in normal performance of job duties.
External – Some travel within Vermont is required.
Work involves standing and walking for brief periods of time, but most duties are performed from a seated position. There is potential for eyestrain from reading detailed materials and computer screen. Deadlines, workloads during peak periods and changing priorities may cause increased stress levels. Work may include occasional pushing, pulling, or carrying objects weighing of approximately 40 pounds such as files, documents, and computer equipment and materials. Work normally requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate computer keyboards at a moderate skill level. Repetitive motion injuries may occur. Company will provide adaptive devices as needed.
Please apply on our website: https://careers-veic.icims.com/jobs/1381/public-relations-manager-%28efficiency-vermont%29/job