Physical Security Specialist | Part Time
Category: Energy Products/Services
Location: 366 Pinnacle Ridge Road, Rutland, VT, USA
Vermont Electric Power Company (VELCO) is a vital player in ensuring the reliable delivery of electricity to the residents and businesses of Vermont. As a mission-driven organization, we are committed to providing sustainable, clean, and affordable energy solutions while upholding the highest standards of safety and security. Our dedication to powering Vermont’s future has made us a trusted leader in the energy sector.
At VELCO, we understand that securing our critical infrastructure is paramount. As we continue to adapt to an evolving energy landscape, we are seeking a dedicated and skilled Physical Security Specialist to join our team. If you are passionate about safeguarding infrastructure, mitigating risks, and ensuring the uninterrupted flow of electricity to communities, we invite you to be part of our journey.
As a Physical Security Specialist at VELCO, you will play a pivotal role in protecting our critical assets and ensuring the resilience of Vermont’s power grid. You will collaborate with a dynamic team of experts in the energy industry, working in a supportive environment that encourages innovation, growth, and professional development.
Why you should join our team
In concert with VELCO’s Manager of Field Services, the Physical Security Specialist will ensure the safety and security of all employees and stakeholders, the organization’s facilities, and the security of all property and assets owned and operated by VELCO throughout the State of Vermont. This position is responsible for collaborating with various departments to develop and manage the security support structure for the company.
How you will make an impact
• Oversees the administration and management of VELCO’s contracted security staff and equipment. Assists contracted staff by providing leadership, training, and support.
Maintains communication with supervisor of contracted security services.
Trained to perform duties of a Security Officer.
Reviews and updates Security Officer’s SOP as needed.
Monitors and reviews Security email and Officer Log/Record Management System.
Responds to Security Officer business needs related to job tasks per VELCO contract.
Assists with budget and RFP process.
• Oversees security event investigations and response to events that impact the organization.
Critical functions for this position include communication and collaboration with Law Enforcement as well as Federal, State and Local regulatory agencies. During an emergency response with impacts to the physical security of VELCO or neighboring utilities, this position plays an essential role to assess, communicate and respond in an expeditious and compliant manner.
Reviews reports generated by Security and assists with internal and external investigations.
Responds to emergency calls, investigates incidents, and conducts follow up review as necessary.
• Keeps abreast of all security-related information, directives, and events and takes appropriate actions to ensure security staff are properly trained and equipped to manage potential issues or breaches. Participates and networks in physical security working groups including but not limited to; NATF, NPCC, E-ISAC.
• Maintains relationships and coordinates with local, state, and federal law enforcement personnel and/or other officials on security-related issues or events. Including but not limited to; Vermont Intelligence Center, and Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA).
• Participates in VELCO’s First Responder Outreach Team efforts. Works with the VELCO Manager of Field Services to coordinate with emergency responders; perform necessary trainings and facility walk throughs.
• Serves as resource for Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) physical security and participates in NERC CIP compliance audits to demonstrate compliance with federal physical security standards.
Maintains a working knowledge of CIP-006 and works with VELCO’s Compliance department to meet CIP obligations.
Compiles/collects audit evidence with CIP Physical Security Specialist (IT Network Security).
Participates in project management meetings to ensure compliance with CIP-006.
Collaborates with Compliance and HR on VELCO’s annual Security Awareness Training.
• Serve as subject matter expert for company security policies and procedures. Develops and/or provides updates and necessary modifications to company policies and procedures.
• Works with team members to produce draft scope of work documents for contracted security maintenance work for submission and finalization by the Procurement department.
• Works with multiple departments to issue and track VELCO controlled keys. Performs bi-annual audits on VELCO controlled key program.
• Works with maintenance personnel and the CIP Physical Security Specialist (IT Network Security) to identify, document and assist, as needed, with repair of security equipment.
• Manages monthly camera/fence review meetings to identify deficiencies and work to be completed for optimal performance of security systems.
• Develop risk management assessments and participates in company emergency preparedness exercises.
• Assists in the creation and delivery of workplace and security awareness training for employees and contractors. To include but not limited to: Active Threat, Run/Hide/Fight and De-escalation training.
• Maintains/updates VELCO’s Security Intranet Page.
• Collaborates with Vermont Distribution Utilities and, in conjunction with VELCO leadership, supports their physical security efforts.
• Actively supports the company’s strategic initiatives in support of the company’s mission, vision, and values.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Who you are
A minimum of 5 years of experience in Security, Security Management, law enforcement or related discipline. Current Certified Protection Officer (CPO) or equivalent, or ability to obtain with the first year of employment. Completed training related to Run, Hide, Fight and/or Active Threat training.
• Written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
• Proficient skills with Microsoft suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, vendors and contractors.
• Strong leadership and decision making skills.
• Knowledge of computerized physical security systems.
• Willingness to learn and share information in a collaborative work environment.
The fine print
• Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk while working on a computer.
• Must be able to access VELCO’s facilities – located throughout Vermont – which include substations and transmission line right-of-ways that extend across variable and often difficult terrain.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and withstand strenuous activities from time to time.
• Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
• Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex work, with competing priorities, within tight timelines.
• Must be able to work effectively in potential stressfully situations.
NOTE: VELCO’s headquarters are located in Rutland, Vermont. This position is part time on-site with potential for some remote work when approved by the manager.
• VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
• Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
• Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
• Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination unless candidate qualifies for a vaccine exemption.
• VELCO’s headquarters are located in Rutland, Vermont. This is a on-site/field position.
• If you need an accommodation as part of the application or interview process please reach out.
Please apply for the Physical Security Specialist role here.