Vermont Livestock Slaughter and Processing
Meat Cutter/Butcher | Full Time
Category: Agriculture Products/Services
Location: 76 Depot Rd, Ferrisburgh, VT 05456, USA
About Vermont Livestock Slaughter & Processing:
Vermont Livestock Slaughter & Processing (VLSP) is a small family-owned business, and our mission is to provide quality service to the livestock industry. As one of the few USDA-inspected facilities in Vermont, we are equipped to slaughter and process beef, lamb, and pork for clients from both in and out of state. We cater to a wide range of clients from private individuals with a few head each year, to commercial producers who require multiple animals processed with regularity. We are a critical part of the forward-thinking farming and food community in Vermont, and across the New England landscape, that supports and celebrates farmers who raise livestock locally through humane practices and pasture-based systems.
We believe that for local food systems to thrive, it is of utmost importance to operate and support independent, small, local processing facilities. The success of small, adaptable facilities like ours is in many ways the keystone of distributed food systems. By being inextricably linked with small livestock farms in New England, our small slaughter and processing business is a critical part of New England’s sustainable food system.
Who We Are:
We are a dynamic team with a wide range of backgrounds who have come together with the shared mission of strengthening the small slaughter and processing industry. We value honesty, hard work, a good sense of humor, and integrity among our team members. We recognize our mistakes and support growth among ourselves. We show up for each other and strive to be the best for our clients.
With nearly 50 years of experience meeting clients’ needs, we have built strong relationships with the farming community and our peers. We are located in Addison County, an area with strong agricultural roots, and are competitively located near the New York border and road system. On a weekly basis, we are currently processing 35-40 animals and we are undergoing a renovation to modernize our facility and increase our throughput.
Who We Are Looking For:
We are looking for a team- and safety-oriented Meat Cutter/Butcher. You will need a keen eye for detail and organization to maintain and follow records for producer identity and meeting high standards of processing.
As a growing facility and business, we are looking for a team member that is inspired by the work that we do, and our role in New England’s food system. We are looking for a team member who has an interest in learning, is comfortable with teamwork settings, and can contribute to a positive and friendly work environment. We are looking for candidates with an eagerness to contribute to our continued growth and evolution.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As a Meat Cutter/Butcher, you will:
- Report to the Master Meat Cutter/Butcher and perform many processing-related tasks.
- Work within a team to accomplish or determine pre-operational sanitation inspection and inspect all carcasses that are to be processed that day for defects.
- Perform bacterial and antimicrobial treatment completion.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
We seek qualified candidates who identify with the descriptors below, with the experience and skill to match.
- Accuracy and attention to detail to meet our food-safety requirements, and to handle multiple producer’s cutting requirements while keeping an organized work environment.
- Safe handling of sharp knives, hand saws, saw blades, and meat processing equipment.
- Meat cutting experience with beef, pork, and lamb; sawing, splitting, and cutting into smaller portions to facilitate handling. Ability to remove bones and cut meat into standards cuts for marketing.
- Value-added processing experience to prepare burgers, sausages, and other meat products.
- Work will be conducted in a refrigerated environment.
- This position requires the ability to lift up to 50-100 pounds, regularly.
Compensation and Schedule:
$18-$20 per hour depending on experience.
The current hours for this position are roughly between 7:00am and 3:30pm including lunch and breaks and may be modified as our production throughput increases. This position may require overtime in the fall when harvest is at its peak.
Benefits & Perks:
Benefits for full-time staff include:
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Sick leave
- Paid time off and company-recognized holidays
- Weekly meat benefit
VLSP is committed to creating an inclusive environment. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided based on merit and business need. If this job inspires you, we encourage you to apply.
Candidates should send an email with “Meat Cutter/Butcher” in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the following information in your submission:
- Cover letter explaining interest in this job
- Available start date
- Three professional references with contact information
Qualified candidates will be contacted directly.