Chelsea Green Publishing
Manufacturing Manager | Full Time
The Manufacturing Manager is a full-time, salaried, exempt position reporting directly to the Production and Art Director. This position is responsible for inventory control, management, and print buying of all reprints of approximately 400 active front- and backlist book titles in both the US and the UK. In addition, the position is responsible for managing all digital conversion of print files for ebook formats. The Manufacturing Manager works closely with the Production and Art Director, the Managing Editor, the VP of Business Development and Global Sales, and the Business Director, to ensure the timely, cost-efficient, quality production of all Chelsea Green titles.
- Monitor front- and back-list inventories in the US and UK using information from CATS and See-View.
- Make independent decisions on standard reprints using information from CATS, Vendor Central, and See-View.
- Present reprint decisions to the Production and Art Director or Publisher when appropriate, such as second printings of titles, recently published titles, and titles going out of print.
- Obtain and evaluate manufacturing quotes from printers.
- Issue manufacturing purchase orders for reprints and prepare manufacturing purchase orders for new titles, to be reviewed with the Production and Art Director.
- Arrange for drop shipments
- Upload final print files to the printer and coordinate review of soft and hard-copy proofs of all files with the Managing Editor.
- Request reprint corrections from authors for first reprints.
- Make reprint corrections to design files and coordinate proofreading of extensive edits with the Managing Editor.
- Review reprint corrections in printer proofs.
- Maintain print-on-demand library.
- Review UK book shipments and advise on availability and quantities.
- Meet quarterly with the Production Director and Business Director for overview of warehouse stock levels.
- Review manufacturing invoices for accuracy, code, and approve.
- Contract for printing of ARCs, catalogs, and miscellaneous advertising materials, upload files to printer, review printer’s proofs, and distribute digital editions to staff.
- Prep print page-layout files for ebook conversion.
- Contract, review, and oversee ebook conversion of print titles.
- Upload and manage ebook metadata and files with all vendors.
- When needed oversee revisions to ebooks based on updates to the print files and feedback from Amazon on quality-control issues.
- Participate in front-list planning meetings.
- Help train new employees in production department.
- Manage front cover images for Amazon.
- Archive and maintain production files on the server and share final print assets with other departments, upon request.
- Minimum five years’ publishing/graphic arts experience.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously on time and on budget.
- Fully competent in writing/editing skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat a plus.
Full-time, salaried, exempt. Eligible for all benefits, including health insurance, 401K match, and ESOP.
Chelsea Green Publishing, founded in 1984, is an 100% employee-owned company based in Vermont with a UK subsidiary publishing operation based in London, England. Chelsea Green is a leading publisher of books on the politics and practice of sustainable living, including foundational books on organic farming and gardening, regenerative agriculture, environment and nature, systems thinking and local economies, holistic health and wellness, politics and public policy, and more. We are committed to freedom of speech and supporting a wide range of diverse viewpoints, often in opposition to conventional narratives and thinking.
Send cover letter and resume via email to Melissa Jacobson at email@example.com