King Arthur Baking Company
Manager, Sustainable Packaging | Full Time
Meet Us: King Arthur Baking Company is an award-winning, audience-leading baking company with a strategic vision to be the resource for baking education and inspiration. Through traditional and new media, in-person and virtual education, we strive to be a leader in helping novice and expert bakers alike. We’re not going anywhere – we’ve been part of the family since 1790. We work to build stronger communities and increase access and the connection to real foods. We take pride in our responsible sourcing and our “never bleached” guarantee. And we work closely with farmers, millers, and suppliers in a continued commitment toward sustainability. Our wheat flour is grown and milled right here in the United States. Flour this good uses only the purest ingredients, free from GMOs. As a founding B Corporation, we are committed to using the power of business as a force for social and environmental good. We believe every employee’s contributions make our company what it is: vibrant, successful, and committed to spreading the joy of baking. We are a welcoming and inclusive 100% employee-owned company.
The Position: The Manager, Sustainable Packaging is responsible for bringing sustainability priorities into the design, development and selection of all packaging from concept to commercialization, across new products, new channels/markets, quality improvement and material sourcing initiatives in our full product line. This role exemplifies solid tactical thinking, blending strong analytics, creativity, and curiosity while also having attention to detail, including a strong problem-solving mentality and solutions-oriented approach to the work. Further, this role possess a demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and make risk based decisions in a fast-paced environment The individual in this role works closely with Operations, Commercialization, Marketing, Innovation, Food Safety, Quality, and Procurement teams to identify key opportunities to meet sustainability packaging goals with consumer and business need.
The Benefits: Yes, we have the regular “stuff” – medical, dental, vision, company paid short- and long-term disability, life insurance, paid time off to rest, paid holidays to have fun, a 401(K) with a company match. But here’s what makes us different: 40 paid volunteer hours a year, profit sharing*, participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)* and knowing that those working with you are dedicated and engaged co-employee owners that believe in you and your extraordinary abilities to move us all forward.
The Location: Opportunity for regular remote work, with expectation to be onsite 1-2 days per week. Will consider full-time remote work for the ideal candidate.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Analyzes and benchmarks sustainable, innovative, and competitive packaging trends to develop, inform and guide KAB packaging strategy
- Identifies and applies new and existing packaging materials and technologies toward the development of innovative new products and the continuous improvement of existing products
- Designs, coordinates, and completes performance and compatibility testing in support of packaging component changes
- Develops and manages packaging specifications and finished good assembly specifications, including palletization
- Uses packaging technology expertise for the application of sound scientific principles and the development of sustainable, new and revised packaging across the entire product line
- Collaborates with Operations, Commercialization, Marketing, Innovation, Food Safety, Quality and Procurement in meetings, effectively communicating and presenting on deliverables
- Utilizes working knowledge of relevant regulatory FDA and USDA requirements for food packaging
This should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities. There may be some variation and or development of the above duties and responsibilities without changing the general nature of the job.
Minimum job requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in packaging engineering, packaging science or related engineering discipline.
- 5+ years of experience with packaging development and/or engineering, including in-depth knowledge in sustainable food packaging, material end-of-life, circular economy, supply chain management, and overall consumer packaged goods packaging technologies
- Knowledge and experience with packaging design, sustainable packaging innovation and packaging equipment
- Clear understanding of the application of a broad range of packaging materials, structural design, printing and manufacturing processes
- Demonstrated design thinking principals and application to the sustainable packaging innovation process to deliver new packaging innovation experience
- Experience coordinating and leading packaging development projects with Supply Chain, Sustainability, Product Development, Innovation and Marketing
- Strong passion to drive sustainability into packaging
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 25% to our packaging suppliers and production facilities.
Success factors/competencies for this role
- Passion for environmental sustainability
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, both oral and written are fundamental
- Ability to organize and carry out multiple projects
- Computer literate and experienced with Microsoft Office Suite Programs, Product Management systems experience
- Open to change, desire for continuous improvement
- Think and act strategically, understand how the role contributes to a larger outcome
- Provide exemplary customer service to both internal and external customers
- Set high standards for oneself, meet deadlines
- Learn from mistakes, receptive to feedback
- Community-minded – get involved, volunteer
Physical requirements/work environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here represent those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be comfortable with working in an open office environment
- Must be able to be on your feet for hours at a time each day
- Occasional lifting of up to 30 pounds will be required
- Ability to travel
- Understand that safety is the responsibility of everyone at the organization
- Responsible for providing a safe and ergonomically sound work environment, identifying unsafe conditions, and correcting these conditions immediately
- Engage in safety and compliance training programs and encourage 100% team participation in the same
- Adhere to companywide green norms, look for ways to reduce, reuse, recycle
- Engage and full participation with membership on Sustainability and Green Team
- Educate oneself on KAB environmental campaigns and become an ambassador to companywide sustainability goals
- Strive to continually improve and implement new processes to reduce our environmental impact
- Every employee’s responsibility is to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
There’s room at our table for you! Apply today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors protected by law. King Arthur Flour provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities to allow them to participate in both the application process and during employment. Such individuals are encouraged to seek accommodations to allow them to apply for a position, participate in the application process, and meet the essential functions and requirements of the position.
*Amounts vary based achievement of financial targets. Participation based on hire date and program entry date.
Apply today from this link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=9ac5f7c0-93c0-483f-a804-393e24eeea24&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=416789&lang=en_US&source=CC4