Let's Grow Kids
Let’s Grow Kids Strategy and Policy Manager | Full Time
Location: Montpelier, VT, USA
About Let’s Grow Kids
Let’s Grow Kids is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to ensure affordable access to high-quality child care for all Vermont families by 2025.
To accomplish this goal, Let’s Grow Kids (LGK) combines child care quality improvement and capacity building with public awareness of, and political will-building for, affordable access to high-quality child care. We nurture partnerships and support community-informed collaborations. We believe philanthropy can catalyze a movement and leverage public investment to address this large-scale social challenge, and we have effectively employed these strategies at the local level community-by-community to achieve statewide results. Our vision is that Vermont is the best place to be a child, to raise a family, to make a living and to build community, because Vermont invests in its kids.
Our culture is dynamic, fast-paced and driven by these core values:
- Commitment to Children: We believe that investing in the wellbeing of children birth to five is a catalyst for positive social change.
- Inclusion: We are building an organization, movement and system that promotes equity and diversity.
- Collaboration: We support each other and our partners to realize shared success.
- Agility: We adapt readily to our environment to ensure we’re in the best position to achieve our goals.
- Strategy: We take a focused, coordinated, data-driven approach to achieving our goals.
- Transparency: We are intentional about sharing clear and timely information about our work, priorities, mission and values.
Role of the Strategy and Policy Manager
The Strategy and Policy Manager works with the Chief of Strategy to facilitate and implement LGK’s mission and organizational strategy with a focus on policy, business and health care initiatives. This position is part of the LGK team in the State House during the legislative session. The Strategy and Policy Manager provides executive coordination and strategic support for an integrated approach to LGK strategy and policy initiatives. This position reports directly to the Chief Strategy Officer and works closely with LGK colleagues across the organization as well as LGK volunteers, consultants and external stakeholders.
The position responsibilities include:
- Maintains a consistent, positive presence in the Vermont State House during the legislative session and ensures coverage of all early childhood education legislative activities, in coordination with lobbyists and LGK staff.
- Fields and directs questions from legislators and policy partners and coordinates with LGK staff and consultants on legislative strategy and communications.
- Works with the Chief of Strategy and teams across LGK to facilitate integrated strategy implementation across the organization.
- Manages strategic engagement tracking data and develops new tools to support this work as necessary.
- Plans, schedules and tracks outreach to and engagement with LGK stakeholders in coordination with colleagues.
- Liaises with the Vermont Community Foundation (VCF) (LGK is a supporting organization of VCF) to ensure proper lobbyist reporting and campaign finance compliance under Vermont law and IRS requirements for LGK.
- Provides administrative support to Chief Strategy Officer and policy team including scheduling, budget management and reporting.
- Attends key regional events and meetings to represent LGK as requested.
Additional duties, as assigned.
A well-qualified candidate will possess the following:
- 5–7 years of relevant experience, including strategic policy planning and implementation.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and ability to work effectively with colleagues, legislators, volunteers, stakeholders and LGK partners.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and manage work with shifting priorities and tight deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and creative thinking about how to leverage technology for coordination and communication; experience with Outlook, SharePoint and/or EveryAction desirable.
- Self-motivation and ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to learn quickly and understand and articulate strategic information.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to take direction from multiple people and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated commitment to LGK mission, core values and commitment to inclusion.
This full-time position is based in LGK’s Montpelier office and requires:
- Up to 25% travel, primarily within the state
- Limited night and weekend work, largely in conjunction with State House schedule
- Ability to periodically lift up to 40 pounds with or without accommodation
Anticipated salary range is $55,000–$60,000 plus a competitive benefits package that includes paid family leave and contribution to child care costs.
Deadline: December 3, 2019 12:00 am
Please send cover letter (including your interest and/or commitment to LGK’s mission and the core values that guide our work) and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org or Let’s Grow Kids, 19 Marble Ave, Suite 4, Burlington, VT 05401. Application deadline is Tuesday, December 3, 2019. Desired start date Friday, January 3rd.
Let’s Grow Kids is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, age, marital or civil union status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, place of birth, citizenship, military or veteran status, HIV status, genetic information, disability or any other legally protected status as defined and required by state and federal laws.