State of Vermont
Legislative Staff Attorneys | Full Time
The Office of Legislative Counsel seeks to hire two attorneys to provide legal research and analysis, legislative drafting, policy analysis, and other legal services to the Vermont General Assembly. The Office of Legislative Counsel is a nonpartisan office that provides legal support to all members of the General Assembly, regardless of party or political affiliation.
Serving as a Legislative Counsel is challenging, interesting, and exciting. You will be part of a highly professional and collegial team that is proud of, and enthusiastic about, the mission of the Office.
Education-focused Position: This attorney will handle education issues, including K–12 education, higher education, special education, education funding, teacher licensure, collective bargaining for school employees, and school governance, and may work on additional topics as needed.
Judiciary-focused Position: This attorney will handle judiciary issues, including courts, constitutional matters, juvenile justice, hate crimes, reproductive rights, law enforcement, corrections, expungement of criminal records, and child abuse and neglect, and may work on additional topics as needed.
Education and Certifications:
• Law degree or successful completion of a recognized law office study program is required.
• Admission to the Vermont Bar within a reasonable time of hiring is required.
• Strong research, analysis, and writing skills
• Good interpersonal skills
• Ability to perform at the highest level under pressure
• Strong work ethic
• Ability always to remain professional and impartial while working in a political environment
• Experience in one of the subject areas noted above (i.e., education or judiciary) or in legislative drafting, or both, is preferred but not required.
Salary will be based on qualifications and experience. The comprehensive State benefits package includes health insurance and retirement plans.
Deadline: August 30, 2021 12:00 am
To apply, please submit in Word or PDF format a resume, a writing sample, and a cover letter explaining your interest, qualifications, and which subject area you are interested in (education or judiciary) by e-mail to: HRApplications@leg.state.vt.us. Applications must be submitted by August 30, 2021. Please put your name and “attorney application” in the subject field of the e-mail (for example: Mary Jones, attorney application).
The Office of Legislative Counsel is an equal opportunity employer and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or other protected category.