Chelsea Green Publishing
Junior Publicist | Full Time
Location: 85 North Main Street
Summary: The Junior Publicist is a full-time staff position that supports Chelsea Green Publishing’s marketing and publicity team by designing and executing creative, customized, title-specific publicity campaigns. The Junior Publicist reports to the Senior Media Strategist and the Director of Marketing. This is a full-time, salaried, non-exempt position with full benefits for a motivated, well-organized, outgoing and fearless self-starter with a demonstrated interest in sustainability, environmental issues, book publishing, and the belief that change can happen when good ideas are spread with the proper messaging.
- Organizing all aspects of title campaigns including writing press materials, pitching media, and communicating regularly with authors and media to secure coverage.
- Researching, pitching and booking national, local, and niche media
- Arranging reviews, interviews, and feature stories across all mediums, including print, online, radio, and television
- Write content, including press releases, promo pieces, schedules and status reports;
- Build media lists using Cision
- Strengthening and developing media contacts and building and maintaining close author relationships
- Working closely with in-house departments including editorial, sales, production, and our London-based marketing team.
- Review relevant media outreach, log and aggregate publicity information for weekly reporting
- Draft talking points and Q&As for authors and help them prepare for press visits and interviews
- Handle light admin and plan, prep, and log review copy mailings to media outlets
- Respond to requests for book assets—including book jacket art, interior images, and excerpts—from media outlets
- Attend regularly-scheduled marketing and sales meetings, title positioning meetings, and author meetings
- Review all relevant material prior to meetings; contribute ideas and display market and media research and strategy during meetings
- College degree in PR, Mass Communications or related field preferred
- 2-years experience working in either public affairs or public relations at a mission-similar organization or PR agency
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Familiarity with major print, online and broadcast media required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (including Outlook, Word, Excel), Adobe (Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, InDesign) Google docs required
- Knowledge of Quick Base and Cision a plus
- Commitment to Chelsea Green’s business and publishing mission
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Proven experience and success communicating with media outlets
- Must be well organized and able to manage multiple projects
- Must have a proven ability to think creatively
Position: Full-time, non-exempt position, based at our main office in White River Junction, Vermont
About Chelsea Green: Since 1984, Chelsea Green has been the go-to publisher for people seeking foundational books on the politics and practice of sustainable living, including organic gardening and agriculture, renewable energy, green building, eco-cuisine, nutrition-based health, and ethical business. Chelsea Green is 100% employee-owned.
More info at: www.chelseagreen.com
To apply: To submit your application, send resume and cover letter to Sean Maher, Director of Marketing: email@example.com. Please specify the position in the subject line.