Intervale Center Staff Accountant | Full Time
Location: 180 Intervale Road, Burlington, VT, USA
Summary of Position:
The Intervale Center in Burlington, Vermont seeks a full-time (approximately 30 to 35 hours per week) Staff Accountant to join our mission-based, dynamic organization. The primary responsibility of this new position is to provide excellent financial support to the entire organization through a highly organized monthly, quarterly, and annual close process, oversee accounts receivable, help maintain the general ledger, policies, and financial records in an accurate and GAAP compliant manner, and support payroll and employee benefits administration. This position has potential to grow as our organization continues to invest in strong finance, human resources, business administration, and systems development. An ideal candidate has at least four years of accounting or financial management experience, seeks continual improvements and streamlines processes, is detail oriented, and is excited to join an existing team of finance professionals.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Duties include but are not limited to:
● Prepare several month-end recurring and non-recurring journal entries, including maintaining supporting schedules.
● Reconcile assigned bank and general ledger accounts on a timely basis.
● Oversee Accounts Receivable including posting of several monthly reconciliations, managing cash receipts process, and collecting on overdue receivables.
● Manage payroll and benefits including entry of new employee data into the payroll processing system, periodic updates to the payroll system, and administration of employee benefits. Responsible for running payroll for the organization twice a month.
● Oversee services bookkeeping function and cross-train to serve as backup.
● With the Finance Director, continually improve accounting software and systems, and create and update process documents as needed.
● Maintain internal accounting-related controls, forms, and policies, and provide instructional support to staff as needed.
● Ensure and reinforce the appropriate flow and format of processes and information according to the Accounting Policy and internal procedures.
● With the Finance Director, support the annual financial statement audit.
● Assist the Finance Director with analysis, reports, and other projects on an as-needed basis.
• 4 years of accounting or financial management experience, preferably in a non-profit setting.
• Degree in accounting, finance, business management, or related degree plus relevant work experience.
• Payroll and Employee Benefit management experience a plus.
• Understanding and compliance with GAAP standards and grant reporting.
• Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
• Clear and concise communication skills and ability to build relationships.
• Able to perform most accounting functions in a highly detailed and accurate manner.
• Proficient with QuickBooks and Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel.
• High degree of trustworthiness and confidentiality.
The position remains open until filled and begins immediately. Compensation is $24-29 per hour commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision), CTO, Sick-Time, and wellness perks. This is a hybrid position based in Burlington, Vermont with some remote work possible.
The Intervale Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity of experience, background, and perspective to enrich our work. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. Open to considering applicants with unique professional experience that may differ from the above qualifications but meet the demands of the position. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.