Vermont Smoke & Cure
Human Resources Manager | Full Time
Category: Human Rights/Social Justice
Location: Hinesburg, VT, USA
Vermont Smoke & Cure is a local Hinesburg business who recently joined forces with Johnsonville Sausage, paving the way for an even brighter future. We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We are looking for a Human Resources Manager to establish foundational HR elements, attract qualified candidates, and create and execute HR initiatives that yield high retention. If working for a Vermont-based, values-driven company gives you pride, please read on!
Benefits Our generous benefits include quarterly bonus, healthcare, vision, life & dental insurance, 401k, employee discount, flexible spending account, paid time off, and flexible scheduling and advancement opportunities.
The Vermont Way We are growing! At Vermont Smoke & Cure, we’ve been consciously crafting delicious smoked meats using simple ingredients since 1962 and are proud to be local. Our team makes our meat sticks and snacks right here in our Smokehouse in the hills of Vermont. We pride ourselves in making delicious meat sticks with the finest flavor in every bite. Our team members are hardworking and dedicated to quality. Our growth requires quality-minded, productive, engaged, and reliable people to join our staff.
Please review the full job description provided below.
Job Summary: Provides generalist Human Resources support for corporate and production Team Members, ensuring initiatives, policies, and programs align with vision, mission, and core values. Develops strong working relationships with senior leadership based on trust and open communication. Develops and executes talent acquisition strategy and tactics to yield sustained hires. Identifies needs and develops programs, policies and procedures that support the culture and drive a healthy and fulfilling employment experience, yielding high retention. Manages and administers Member benefits and recognition programs.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Works closely with Director of Operations to develop recruitment strategy and tactics to yield sustained hires, including candidate sourcing, screening, background and reference checks, and facilitating the entire process.
- Works with marketing team to advertise and create sourcing copy to attract candidates and keep an open pipeline; manages internet job board posting and internal web site careers page.
- Identifies multiple candidate sourcing avenues to keep a sustained influx of qualified applicants.
- Works to enhance the employment experience by engaging with the team, managing the Fun Committee, reward and recognition programs, and developing new, engaging initiatives.
- Manages onboarding process, including new hire orientation, Buddy Program, New Hire Luncheons, and facilitates completion of new hire paperwork.
- Conducts formal/informal surveys to gage Member satisfaction, identifies themes, and make recommendations.
- Facilitates annual review and development planning processes, ensuring pragmatic tools are in place to guide the communications process.
- Creates and facilitates advancement planning with senior management to yield ready candidates for promotion.
- Manages internal learning and development (e.g., LMS, management training).
Employee Relations, Policy & Procedures
- Identifies needs and creates/edits policies and procedures which are compliant with legislation and aligned with core values. Responsible for the Member Handbook updates, ensuring positive messaging and useful information for Team Members.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, and regulatory changes, ensuring compliance with legislation such as FMLA, VT Sick Leave, ADA, FLSA, EEO, and Anti-Harassment/Discrimination.
- Provides consultation to managers on Team Member behavioral issues, including disciplinary action and terminations of employment.
- Receives complaints from Team Members, investigates, and resolves.
- Manages Team Member files (i.e., recruiting, personnel, benefits, I-9) and records retention.
Benefits Management and Administration
- Identifies and introduces new/different benefits or initiatives that engage the team in wellness (physical, mental, financial).
- Consults with senior management on benefits offerings/changes and educates Team Members on how to use programs to their advantage.
- Facilitates leaves of absence, ensuring appropriate communications with Team Members and managers.
- Maintains comfortable breakroom environments, ensuring availability of supplies. Works with Marketing on items needed for events, recognition, etc.
- Administers benefits programs, including open enrollment, new enrollments, status changes, and terminations.
Job Requirements: Following is a list of pre-requisites needed to ensure successful job performance:
- Degree in Human Resources, related field, or commensurate experience
- SHRM certification preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Human Resources managerial role
- Strong knowledge of employment law, talent acquisition and performance management
- Proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PPT, Teams)
- Competencies, behaviors, and characteristics:
- Strategic thinking coupled with practical execution and problem-solving
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal abilities
- Ability to work autonomously and self-direct
- Organization, planning, and attention to detail
- Positive attitude and strong initiative
- Act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty at a satisfactory level. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The mental and physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Regularly required to sit for prolonged periods of time, at a desk and work on a computer
- Regularly required to talk and hear and visually observe objects up close and at a distance
- Regularly requires hands to handle or feel and finger dexterity
- Infrequent light physical effort is required
- Occasional travel via air, rail or car
- Regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret complex data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; learn and apply new information or skills; perform highly detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks with constant interruptions.
- Regularly requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy when interacting with those encountered in the course of work, some of whom may be demanding, dissatisfied or upset.
- Work is primarily performed in an office environment and occasionally in a manufacturing plant.
Please submit resume to email@example.com for consideration. Thank you!