Vermont Electric Cooperative
Human Resource Generalist | Full Time
Category: Energy Products/Services
Location: 42 Wescom Rd.
As a member of the Human Resources team, you run the daily functions of human resources including benefit, pay, and compliance administration. You also recruit, educate and onboard employees. You are a vital influence on our culture, demonstrated by the way you show up each day and the care and attention you give to and for our workforce. You are responsible for the integrity of our records, practices, and confidential treatment of information. You are a role model who demonstrates “Lead with People” through your presence, words, and actions. Your work includes collaborating with, supporting, and informing others; and is centered on doing what is safe, best and right. You are committed to VEC’s mission of providing safe, affordable, and reliable energy services. You understand your impact on our workforce and ultimately the 32,000 members we serve across Northern Vermont.
What You Do / Will Do:
- You are responsible for benefits administration and communication, from orientation to separation including enrolling employees and updating their information as needed; creating benefit and deduction records; assisting with claims resolution; reviewing, resolving issues, and approving invoices for payment; and working closely with the Finance Department to ensure accurate benefit cost reconciliation.
- You must keep abreast of changes within VEC’s benefits programs and effectively communicate changes or updates to employees, including through informational meetings, benefit seminars, and open enrollment meetings for employees and dependents. You will also use technology platforms to provide information to our employees. You will be responsible for benefits compliance and reporting requirements.
- You will provide support and be a resource for all employees, building and maintaining healthy relationships with all employees.
- You will recruit for VEC’s workforce, including preparing and placing employment advertisements; coordinating interviewing and hiring; conducting new-employee orientations; and monitoring employee performance progress through orientation and probationary periods.
- You will coordinate, process and administer on-boarding and exit activities.
- You will administer the DOT program for CDL drivers including the drug and alcohol-testing program, driver record reviews, and CDL physicals. You will assure program compliance, including the creation, reporting, and maintenance of records required under federal and state law. You will annually review changes to state and federal laws and reports necessary or suggested changes to Manager of Human Resources.
- You will be responsible for record keeping and annual testing coordination of our affirmative action program (AAP), including the AAP roster, applicant tracking, and all records required for the AAP filing and the annual EEO-1 report. You will maintain other records, reports, and logs to conform to EEO regulations.
- You will maintain personnel, benefit, compensation, employment, insurance, CDL, and all necessary compliance records and files in a confidential manner that ensures privacy of information.
- You will maintain VEC’s organizational chart.
- You will attend meetings, webinars, conferences, and special courses for self-development, and for the purpose of providing better support and education to others in all areas of responsibility. This may require occasional travel from the area.
- You will participate in HR/Legal staff meetings, other internal meetings, and serve on committees and teams.
- You will participate in developing department goals, objectives, strategies and systems and assist in evaluating and reporting on the work of the Human Resource Department in relation to established goals. You will consider and recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to improve the efficiency of the Human Resources Department and the services it provides.
- You will safeguard VEC’s human resource functions by ensuring that you receive needed technical skill training, maintain procedural documentation so that human resources staff is knowledgeable and able to provide back-up and support functions. This work includes data quality review, analysis, problem solving, and corrective direction when necessary.
- You will work with others to identify opportunities for functional process improvements. This may include collaboration, education, small group presentation, or providing one-on-one coaching.
- You will support and implement change within areas of responsibility to achieve VEC’s strategic plan, business needs, and long-term goals.
- Your performance must meet expectations as a leader and individual contributor.
Experience and Skills Needed:
- You have an Associate’s degree in Human Resource or Business Administration, or related area and at least four years of Human Resource experience, OR a Bachelor’s degree with two years’ experience, OR Six years of experience in the HR field. PHR certification is preferred. Obtaining PHR certification may be required for individual development.
- You are motivated by the opportunity to support others.
- You are self-directed, inquisitive, and show enthusiasm to learn within a constantly changing industry.
- You are proactive and continuously look for opportunities to improve or to be more efficient.
- You work well in a collaborative, team-based environment and also independently.
- You are proficient with Microsoft Office products and have experience manipulating data in Excel.
- You have experience working within a database and/or an integrated accounting system.
- You have solid communication skills that are effective when interacting with individuals inside and outside of the organization.
- You are an excellent solution seeker.
- You demonstrate commitment to VEC’s Rules of Engagement.
- You have proficient math skills and can derive percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- You have a valid Driver’s License to be able to travel occasionally for business.
- You are capable of sitting and using the computer for long periods of time (reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions).
VEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this position, please visit our website and submit a cover letter and resume.