Gleaning Coordinator | Full Time
Location: 180 Intervale Road, Burlington, VT, USA
Summary of Position:
The Intervale Center seeks a Gleaning Coordinator to join the join our Gleaning and Food Access team. For over 30 years, the Intervale Center has led a community food revolution that sustains farms, land, and people. We manage hundreds of acres of land and have pioneered farm and food innovations like farm business incubation, commercial composting, riparian restoration, gleaning, and food hub development. To learn more visit: intervale.org.
The Gleaning Coordinator will support the Gleaning and Food Access Manager in all aspects of programming. The Gleaning Coordinator will co-facilitate weekly gleaning efforts and manage volunteer groups on various farms within the Intervale and Chittenden County. Gleaning is the act of harvesting surplus food from farms that otherwise would otherwise might go to waste. They will co-manage weekly food distributions through the Fair Share CSA. The Gleaning Coordinator will also manage the distribution of gleaned produce at various sites throughout the broader Burlington community, creating a convenient, dignified charitable food experience. This position will provide support as needed to the charitable food production spaces – the Peoples Farm and Garden. The coordinator will support the development of current and new food access programming to serve the greater Burlington area.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage distribution of gleaned produce at “pop-up” produce distribution events.
- Manage volunteers, oversee volunteer safety in the field, track volunteer hours.
- Co-facilitate weekly field gleans at partner farms.
- Support the Fair Share in packing and delivering shares to 200+ members.
- Ensure product quality and food safety.
- Support the People’s Farm and People’s Garden as needed with various farm tasks, including mulching, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting, trellising, and fencing
- Aggregate data and develop annual reports.
- Participate in long-term Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and organizational capacity building.
- Experience in gardening, landscaping, farming, or horticulture.
- Knowledge of and experience with issues related to hunger, poverty, and nutrition preferred.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organization, communication, and time management skills.
- Experience coordinating volunteers and working with diverse populations.
- Fluency in Nepali, Spanish, or French preferred.
- Positive, personable, outgoing attitude.
- Ability to be outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Valid VT driver’s license with clean driving record.
Intervale Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity of experience, background, and perspective to enrich our work. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. This is a year-round, hourly position, averaging 32 hours per week and is based in Burlington, Vermont. Compensation range is $17 – $18 per hour and includes health and dental insurance, generous time off package, 401k match, life/disability insurance and limited wellness benefits. This position will remain open until filled.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.