Food Access Assistant | Part Time
Category: Agriculture Products/Services
Location: 180 Intervale Road, Burlington, VT, USA
Position: Food Access Assistant
Reports to: Intervale Gleaning & Food Access Manager
Status: Part-time, hourly, no benefits, $15-17/hour
28 hours/week (28 hours is the weekly average for the year, this position is 40 hours May-September, 30 hours October-November, 16 hours December-April)
Summary of Position:
The Food Access Assistant will work alongside the Land Stewardship team and the Gleaning and Food Rescue team. This position will work in all aspects of Peoples Farm, Peoples Garden, and Abenaki Heritage Garden maintenance, strategic planning, and evaluation. This position will join with community partners to build toward collaborative garden spaces that create an inclusive and educational working landscape. Additionally, the Food Access Assistant will co-facilitate weekly gleaning efforts and manage volunteer groups on various farms within the Intervale and Chittenden County. They co-manage weekly food distributions through the Fair Share CSA. The Food Access Assistant will also manage the distribution of gleaned produce at various sites throughout the broader Burlington community, creating an efficient, dignified charitable food experience with a focus on serving the Winooski community.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Establish and engage with community partners within the Peoples Farm to create an inclusive and educational environment
- Manage distribution of gleaned produce at “pop-up” events
- Manage volunteers, oversee volunteer safety in the field, track volunteer hours
- Co-facilitate weekly field gleans at partner farms
- Support the Peoples Farm and Peoples Garden with various farm tasks including mulching, planting, weeding, watering, trellising, fencing, pruning, etc.
- Support the Fair Share in packing shares on Monday afternoons July – October
- Represent the Farm, Garden and Intervale Center in a professional and courteous manner
- Ensure product quality and food safety
- Experience in community building, program development
- Experience in gardening, landscaping, farming, horticulture
- Passion and knowledge for community gardening, food access and/or indigenous food crops
- Self-motivated, personable, and able to work both independently, and as part of a team
- Strong organization, communication, and time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience coordinating volunteers and working with diverse populations
- Positive, outgoing attitude
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Valid VT driver’s license with clean driving record
The Intervale Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15th. Position is based in Burlington, VT.
Deadline: February 15, 2021 12:00 am
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by February 15th. Position is based in Burlington, VT.