Finance Director | Full Time
Location: PO Box 697, 14 Pleasant St
The Finance Director is responsible for all financial matters of the Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermont (NOFA-VT) and Vermont Organic Farmers LLC (VOF) with a combined budget of $3.5M.
Reports to the Executive Director. The Finance Director also works with Program Directors, the Development Director, and is a member of the senior leadership Administrative Team.
Supervises: Finance Assistant and Office Assistant
Overall responsibilities include: overseeing the financial health of the organization, general bookkeeping, managing all financial aspects of grants, and leading all financial reporting. Detailed list of job responsibilities to be provided at first round interview.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Oversees and directs the organization’s accounting activities for both NOFA-VT and VOF (which requires managing the separate accounts of the VOF LLC owned by the nonprofit as well) including accounts payable, accounts receivable, cost accounting, invoicing and payroll
- Oversees and directs budgeting, tax, long-range financial forecasting, insurance, and fringe benefits activities for the organization
- Directs and develops procedures and systems necessary to maintain proper records and to ensure adequate internal accounting controls and services
- Oversees work and results of department staff
- Performs financial management and reporting for NOFA-VT and VOF
- With auditors, prepares all financial reports required by local, state, and federal government agencies
- Prepares and monitors the annual budget for the organization
- Administers government contracts and billing
- Appraises the organization’s financial position and issues quarterly reports on the organization’s financial condition and other reports required by management
- Creates periodic reports on financial matters to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors
- Establishes and maintains contacts with financial institutions
- Prepares organization for annual audit and serves as primary liaison with auditors
- Actively participates on the Admin/Leadership team and attends regularly scheduled meetings
- Supports budget development for all programs
- Takes the lead on human resources procedures, including orienting new staff members to benefits, managing benefits, and yearly reviewing of benefits offerings.
- Performs other duties as required
The Finance Director will have 5-10 years of financial management experience with a degree in accounting or finance, preferably an MBA and/or C.P.A. The Finance Director will have experience as a Finance Director in an organization with a budget of at least $1M. The Finance Director will have had experience in a management and supervisory role and held a leadership position in another organization.
Additional qualifications include:
- Knowledge of federal, state and foundation grant accounting, compliance reporting
- An understanding of GAAP standards, accrual accounting, and grant reporting
- Proficiency with QuickBooks and Excel
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Strong attention to detail
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- High degree of trustworthiness and confidentiality
- An interest in organic agriculture and commitment to NOFA-VT’s mission
This is a Director level position, falling into NOFA-VT’s pay band of $67,183 to $87,077/year. NOFA-VT offers competitive benefits including healthcare, generous paid time off, a flexible work schedule, and more.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and two references to email@example.com. We will be accepting applications through the month of February with an anticipated start date of April 15.