Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund
Farm to Plate Network Manager at Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund | Full Time
Location: 3 Pitkin Court, Montpelier, VT, USA
Reports to: Farm to Plate Director
General Work Experience: At least 3 years work experience with at least 2 years in food/agriculture systems or related fields
Education: Degree in social sciences, natural resources, or relevant field preferred (e.g., sustainable development, food systems, education, economics, public health, public policy, etc.).
Description: The Farm to Plate Network Manager will help support the Farm to Plate Network through its 2nd decade of state-level food system transformation through planning, facilitation, coordination, and project management. The primary support to the Network will be at the intersection between local food development and the following areas: food access, equity, healthcare and community health, workforce development and education systems (secondary and post-secondary education), food scrap management (food recovery, composting, etc.), and land use planning and community development. Other areas may include: farmland access, environment, and farm viability. The Network Manager will also assist the Farm to Plate Director with internal project management and implementation including helping to maintain population indicators and performance measures, and annual reporting and Network evaluation. The Network manager must have the ability to travel within Vermont, as the job requires.
Farm to Plate is Vermont’s food system plan being implemented statewide to increase economic development and jobs in the farm and food sector; improve soils, water, and resiliency of the working landscape in the face of climate change; and improve access to healthy local food for all Vermonters.
The mission of VSJF is to nurture the sustainable development of Vermont’s economy by providing business assistance, network development, research and financing in agriculture and food system, forest product, waste management, renewable energy, and environmental technology sectors.
Projects & Responsibilities:
Network Coordination, Facilitation, and Project Management
- Works with Farm to Plate Director to provide facilitative leadership and support to the Farm to Plate Network’s Priority Strategy Teams, Topic Exchanges, and Communities of Practice, as assigned.
- Helps organize annual Farm to Plate Network Gathering and Leadership Retreat.
- Works with the Farm to Plate team to provide logistical support to the Network (meeting logistics, meeting notes, etc.), as assigned.
- Provides project management and oversight to Network projects and Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund (VSJF) initiated projects, including but not limited to: process design, report design/layout, project outreach, presentations, and dissemination, and contributing content expertise as needed.
- Works with food systems organizations to adapt and incorporate the goals and strategies contained in Vermont’s Farm to Plate food system plan to their organization, or local or regional community.
- Uses and maintains databases to facilitate Network communication (e.g., list servs).
- Assists with Farm to Plate communication related tasks, as assigned.
- Helps prepare annual report to the Vermont Legislature and Governor about implementation progress.
- Represents VSJF at meetings, as needed.
Research, Indicators, and Implementation Evaluation
- Assists Farm to Plate Director with creating new, and maintaining existing, population indicators and performance measures for the Farm to Plate Strategic Plan’s 15 goals and 87 objectives.
- Assists Farm to Plate Director with grantee evaluation and performance measurement tracking.
- Proven project management skills.
- Knowledgeable about sustainability and food systems. Preferred knowledge in areas of education, workforce development, health and nutrition, equity, and food access.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to summarize complex topics into concise formats relevant to both general and specific audiences.
- Demonstrated relationship building, collaboration, and facilitation skills; knowledge of network theory a plus.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Solid organizational skills and attention to detail is required.
- Creative problem solver and critical thinker.
- Experienced and comfortable working with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Adobe InDesign Creative Suite.
- Ability to manage time eﬀectively and work independently.
- Team player, sense of humor, and positive can-do attitude.
- Personally driven to make a difference.
- Bonus: experience working with Tableau; experience with graphic or report design.
This is a full-time, permanent, exempt position. Salary will be commensurate with experience and available funding within the range of $55,000-$61,000/year. Employee health and dental insurance, paid holidays and combined time, plus up to 3% SIMPLE IRA retirement contribution. Position will be a combination of in-office and remote work. In-state and regional travel will be required.
Deadline: January 5, 2021 12:00 am
VSJF is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. We look for candidates who have a high level of demonstrated comfort with cultural competency. We encourage black, indigenous and people of color to apply.