Center for an Agricultural Economy
Farm Connex Delivery Driver | Full Time
Location: 140 Junction Road PO BOX 422
The Center for an Agricultural Economy (CAE), based in Hardwick, VT, seeks a Farm Connex Delivery Driver. This is a year round position that is crucial to our day-to-day operations for Farm Connex, CAE’s dynamic and expansive distribution program. Farm Connex provides cold-chain freight service for farmers and food producers who may be “too small” or “too rural” to access other distribution channels. Farm Connex headquarters is physically based in Hardwick, where its operation spans 6 days per week, and up to 20 hours each day. As a Farm Connex driver, you will be part of a team operating our fleet of 5 delivery vehicles in service to our 21+ weekly routes, aggregating and delivering local products in 13 of 14 counties within the state of Vermont and in some adjoining areas of western New Hampshire.
Position: Farm Connex Delivery Driver
Reports to: General Manager
Schedule: 40 hrs per week with possibility of overtime hours
Compensation: Hourly rate starting at $20.50+ ; Non Exempt/full time/permanent position
Benefits: Generous paid time off, SIMPLE IRA, Qualified Small Employer HRA, Employer-paid short-term disability and life insurance, professional development compensation
Minimum Qualifications: valid driver’s license, a clean motor vehicle record, and ability to pass a medical exam.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES (Essential Functions)
Distribution & logistics ( 70%)
- Operate medium duty refrigerated vehicles (safely) on our 21+ delivery routes
- Pick up orders & delivery of perishable products in a safe & appropriate manner
- AM loading and PM unloading of trucks as needed to maintain efficiency of limited warehouse space and safety of product
- Maintain accurate and organized daily delivery records
- Maintain reliable, frequent communication with managers on duty
- As needed, provide assistance in the warehouse or on other distribution tasks, such as packing, moving product, assisting on route delivery, etc.
- Responsible for vehicle status reports & daily vehicle needs as coordinated by General Manager
- Perform early morning shifts to ensure products are at their destination for customer receiving hours.
- Ability to independently perform job responsibilities in a variety of weather conditions
- Ability to proficiently handle fragile food products such as eggs and glass bottles
- Knowledge of basic food safety and handling guidelines
Customer service engagement (20%)
- Maintain the highest level of customer service with producers and receivers
- Communicate regularly with all the members of the Farm Connex team to report any potential issues or needs of producers
Respond to direct operational need (10%)
- Adhere to all safety protocols (ex: OSHA, VT Dept of Health, CAE safety protocols)
- Adhere to all state and federal laws
- Collaborate with staff when unexpected requests or issues arise to resolve them in a collaborative and timely manner
- Pitch-in as needed (warehouse operations troubleshooting, product aggregation, order picking, truck loading, pickup/delivery, paperwork filing, etc.)
Physical Demands/lifting requirements:
- Operating a non-CDL refrigerated truck safely on routes that are 4-12 hours long
- Moderate-vigorous physical labor (lifting/pushing/pulling up to and >50 lbs with some equipment assistance)
- Manually moving product with a hand truck up and down a ramp
- Operating a pallet jack, electrical walkie, forklift
- High level of safety and detail orientation
- Work in cooler, freezer, warehouse and outdoor settings
- Ability to learn new tasks, remember processes, maintain focus
- Ability to make timely decisions in the context of a workflow and on the road
Building community leadership, investing in relationships, and listening to the needs of the community are core principles CAE applies to all our work. We strive to foster an inclusive and supportive staff culture where learning and growth are supported. CAE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, disability, or veteran status.
BACKGROUND ON CAE
CAE is a food systems hub in Hardwick, VT whose reach extends statewide and beyond. Our work touches all aspects of the food system in support of rural food businesses, farms, and communities. We work alongside our neighbors and partners to cultivate interdependence, take risks, and initiate change. CAE operates a full-service food hub at the Vermont Food Venture Center, and business advising and technical assistance to farm and food businesses. Our enterprises include Just Cut, a farm to institution program; Farm Connex, a local food delivery service; and Vermont Farm Fund, a revolving farm fund. Our community programs are focused in the greater Hardwick area and include a community greenspace and gardens at Atkins Field; Grow Your Own, a food independence collaboration with the Hardwick Area Food Pantry and others; Place-Based Education partnerships with our local schools; and community organizing for food sovereignty. We invite you to participate in our work to create a rural food system in which everyone has agency, support, and access to local food.
We are looking to fill this job position immediately and will accept applications until the position is filled. Selected candidates will have an initial phone interview, which may be followed by an interview and tour of CAE spaces. Interview questions will be shared ahead of time. Applicants who go on to interview with us will also be asked to provide references. If offered the position, you will be asked to do a background check.
CAE is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals and will provide support in any way to assure everyone’s best experience in the hiring process. CAE will take the steps necessary to assure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations during the interview process and, if hired, subsequent employment. For accommodation inquiries, please contact our Admin Operations Coordinator at email@example.com.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, cover letter or letter of interest, and include “FarmConnex Delivery Driver” in your email subject line. We’re interested to hear your thoughts on any life or work experience as it relates to this position. Let us know if you have any questions!