Farm Business Specialist – Southern Vermont | Full Time
Summary of Position:
The Intervale Center seeks a dynamic, mission-driven Farm Business Specialist to join our team. This position is in partnership with Food Connects and will be based out of their offices in Southern Vermont. For over 30 years, the Intervale Center has led a community food revolution that sustains farms, land, and people. We have pioneered farm and food innovations like Community Supported Agriculture, commercial composting, riparian restoration, farm business incubation, and gleaning and food hub development.
The Farm Business Specialist delivers high quality, custom farm business planning services that enhance the viability of Vermont’s food system. The Specialist provides business planning, coaching, education, and technical support directly to farm and food businesses. This position will be based in Southern Vermont and will include work with both beginning and existing farmers in the process of transitioning and/or transferring the farm. The Specialist works collaboratively with the agricultural development team to provide farmer-focused support to all types and scales of farms in Vermont.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position will entail working with farmers across Vermont to provide business planning services. Specific roles and responsibilities will be to:
- Provide and/or coordinate excellent farm-based business development services.
- Enroll farmer participants, provide on-farm consultation, coordinate consultants, and support or lead business plan development and follow-up support.
- Participate in technical service provider networks and help advance Vermont’s goal of a strong farm and food economy.
- Collaborate with our team and other service providers on business coaching, planning, and special projects related to growing the agricultural sector.
- Represent the Intervale Center’s farm business development services in Vermont and nationally as required.
- Pursue professional development opportunities that enhance service delivery.
- Attend staff meetings, board meetings, and special Intervale Center events as necessary.
- Contribute to a highly productive, collaborative, and positive work environment.
We are seeking a highly qualified professional to provide business and transfer planning support to farms throughout Vermont. An ideal candidate will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural management, business development, economics or related field. Advanced training in farm business management, economics, or small business development preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in agricultural development and/or business development.
- Experience working directly with farmers or other business owners seeking to enhance their business operations required.
- Knowledge of business and retirement/succession planning concepts required. Experience with farm financial planning preferred.
- Excellent budget and project management skills, and computer skills.
- Ability to work independently, manage time and multiple clients, and problem- solve.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and comfort with facilitating complicated emotional and family conversations.
- A passion for agriculture and knowledge of diverse farm production models.
- A valid driver’s license and vehicle for travel.
Intervale Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com. This position is full-time. Compensation is $24-29 per hour, commensurate with experience, and includes health, dental, retirement, and limited wellness benefits, including flexible work schedule, discounts on local food, and the option to work remotely. Position requires frequent travel throughout Vermont.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.