Experienced Carpenter | Full Time
Location: 18a Morse Dr, Essex Junction, VT 05452, USA
Experienced Carpenter Position
Hello! We are a busy, fun, egalitarian, creative, kind, and mission-driven group of people working together towards the goal of developing ecological and social climate justice and regeneration practices in the building and design trades. Quite simply, we are looking to transform and save the world, in partnership with each other and our communities.
We are a worker-owned cooperative so everyone who works here is also an owner. If you have a passion for:
- climate change response through the built environment;
- natural, local, and plant-based materials used in creative high-performance designs
- an equitable and respectful workplace with a strong team culture
- strong communication, organization, and team skills to support our company running smoothly
… you are the right person to apply for this position!
Team-focused personalities sought:
Those who balance their needs and well-being with those of the group are the best fit for us. We cultivate trust and invest deeply in the career development of each person, who then in turn invests themselves deeply into the group. Win-win is what we aim for.
Flexible personalities sought:
We are dispersed across a 1-1.5 hour radius, so a willingness to travel within central and northern Vermont as well as comfort with phone, email, text and other forms of virtual communication is a must. Also, our firm is busy and lots of things pop up unexpectedly, so an ability to roll with that with general good cheer and aplomb is ideal.
Exceptional high-quality builders sought:
In this position, the ideal person would help us deliver excellent projects to our clients with a joyful, efficient, and safe process of work on site and a high level of quality.
People of color, trans, and gender-nonconforming people, people from poor and working-class backgrounds, queer people, and women are encouraged to apply. Language proficiency in languages other than English valued, and Spanish-speakers especially welcome.
Details below, we look forward to meeting you!
-the New Frameworks Team
Experienced Carpenter Position
The Experienced Carpenter role is a Full Time (40 hour/week) position with benefits, to join our team to build, install, and finish our pre-designed kit buildings made with straw, wood fiber fill, and other plant-based wall, floor, and roof panels. This position is based at our shop in Essex Junction, and includes delivering, installing, and finishing buildings on site, limited to a 1-2 hour drive radius from our shop.
The person right for this job is interested in using their carpentry skills to be a climate hero! The production of prefabricated insulated panels is a development in the natural building and green building trades that accelerates the drawdown of atmospheric carbon levels by making this technology widely available and easily accessible. The person right for this job has their senses tuned to not only co-produce high quality projects, but to develop bio-based panelized solutions as a product through a commitment to climate positive innovation.
Our company is a language justice organization, with both English and Spanish being used as core languages, so being interested in becoming functionally bilingual is a requirement, and coming with language skills in each language is a plus. Our team is committed to social justice and mutual respect between all people, and a similar commitment is sought in the right person to fill this position.
- Independently take on building tasks under the guidance of the Site Supervisor; complete tasks on budget, on schedule, and to the Site Supervisor’s satisfaction. Tasks include site work, foundation, framing, insulation, window/door install, air sealing, flashing, and finishes.
- Interest in and knowledge of working with locally-sourced wood and other building materials, applied knowledge of high performance building theory and techniques. Experience in straw bale building, clay and lime plasters, and other natural building methods and materials are a plus. Will train.
- Lead a small crew to execute specific project tasks, holding responsibility for assuring quality of their work, working with all relevant power tools and attending to all safety and maintenance protocols. Contribute to a positive daily culture, providing on-the-job guidance and training as needed to apprentices.
- Participate regularly in quarterly All-Company Meetings to help steer direction of our worker-owned cooperative, and act as an active member of the Build Committee.
- Exhibit strong building science and green building skills with an interest for continued growth in this area (Regular in-house and external training included with this position). Contribute to research & development and innovation of pre-fabricated natural building technologies.
- 8+ yrs experience in construction, renovation, trades and/or energy & weatherization work, 2+ years experience managing a crew
- Full time position, with expectation of daily presence as set by crew schedule
- Bilingual English & Spanish speaking skills or interest in learning
- Experience with efficient, production-oriented work
- High level of experience with all basic hand and power tools commonly used for construction/carpentry
- Ability to read plans, and execute framing, trim, stairs, built-ins, other finish projects
- Reliable transportation and basic carpentry tools required
- Strong communication skills: in person, via phone, and email
- Letter of Interest
As a full-time member of the team, with a competitive hourly rate and robust benefits, you can expect a total compensation package of $56,080 – $65,200.
- $26-30/hr (dependent on experience and performance)
- 80 hrs paid Vacation/year
- 40 hrs paid floating Holiday & Wellness /year
- Emergency Family Medical & Parental Leave
- Vision & Dental insurance
- Healthcare stipend of $100/month
- $200/year pp for personal tool or tech allowance
- Reduced cost cell phone plans available on company AT&T plan, deducted from member’s paycheck
- Paid internal and external trainings, conferences & classes; coverage based on first come first serve basis until the budget line is tapped for the year
- Subscriptions to Fine Homebuilding, BuildingGreen online suite, and other trade publications
- Bragging rights that you are a co-owner of the coolest and dorkiest company in the Northeast!
Please email a resumé and letter of interest to email@example.com