ECHO, Leahy Center for Lake Champlain
Exhibit Fabrication and Design Manager | Full Time
Location: 1 College Street, Burlington, VT, USA
ECHO’s mission is to inspire and engage families in the joy of scientific discovery, wonder of nature, and care of Lake Champlain. ECHO is a dynamic science center and lake aquarium committed to engaging diverse public audiences and providing experiential, relevant, and lifelong educational experiences for all our guests. ECHO employees are expected to contribute to a productive, respectful, inclusive workplace by modeling humor, communication, collaboration, and accountability to our colleagues, animals, and guests.
The Exhibit Fabrication & Design Manager is a creative problem solver, diversely skilled fabricator, playful designer of exhibits and environments, proficient project manager, and team player with strong communication skills. The position supports the delivery of new and improved exhibits at ECHO by building digital 3D design models, improving existing exhibits, fabricating new exhibits, managing specialty contractors, and obtaining building permits. The ideal candidate will have a sincere commitment to audience-centered and universal design and enthusiasm for developing interactive STEM experiences for a family audience. We welcome candidates with the potential and drive to grow into this position over time through a combination of on-the-job experience and professional development.
Primary job responsibilities include:
- Serve as the 3D design and fabrication specialist on a four-person creative team to develop new and improved STEM exhibits.
- Prepare 3D design models using computer design software such as Sketchup.
- Fabricate permanent exhibits, educational props, and mobile exhibits using a variety of traditional and computer-controlled fabrication methods, such as woodworking, metalworking, CNC routing, etc.
- Identify and manage specialty contractors, such as makers, tradespeople, and engineers, to support fabrication, fit-out, and install of new exhibits.
- Work with the Director of Programs & Strategy to engage key stakeholders and drive multiple projects through the stages of the exhibit design process.
- Work with Education team members to fabricate and collaboratively design custom educational props and traveling exhibits.
- Work with Facilities to obtain necessary building permits for exhibit projects.
- Routinely assess ECHO’s exhibits for quality assurance and work with necessary internal stakeholders to address any issues discovered.
- Perform evaluation studies of exhibit effectiveness.
- Maintain ECHO’s fabrication shop and exhibits long-term storage.
- Repair exhibit and educational props.
- Support ECHO’s facilities team in troubleshooting permanent exhibits, as needed.
- Work safely at all times, using tools as intended and wearing all required PPE.
- Other duties and special projects assigned as assigned.
To review the full job description, see project examples, and apply, please visit echovermont.org/jobs
ECHO is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes resumes from individuals who will contribute to our diversity.
Application deadline: February 10, 2023
ECHO requires all of our employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
Deadline: February 10, 2023 12:00 am
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title, “Exhibit Fabrication & Design Manger” in the subject line by February 10. Also as part of your application and email, please describe 1-2 projects that you recently designed and fabricated. Please provide visuals and describe the specific design, fabrication, and management skills you applied to the project.