Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility
Executive Director, VBSR | Full Time
Location: 255 South Champlain Street, Burlington, VT, USA
The Executive Director oversees all programs, services and organizational activities of VBSR and VBSR-REF (Research and Education Foundation). The E.D. supervises the activities of the staff, interns and volunteers; assists the board in setting policy, conducts organizational business and ensures the financial health of the organization; facilitates board development; implements needed programs and fundraising; takes a leading role in fundraising; works directly with board Executive Committee; works with committees and issue groups to develop the organizational agenda; and acts as a resource for members. The Executive Director should be an inspiring representative of VBSR to members and the public. The Executive Director reports to the VBSR and VBSR-REF boards.
Specific tasks include:
- Supervising the planning, oversight and implementation of the strategic plan, operating within the organization’s policy parameters, and assuring achievement of specific board-established goals.
- Supervising the planning, oversight and implementation of fundraising activities, including coordination of grant writing and donor solicitations. Working closely with the board on fundraising strategy and campaigns. Helping develop the board’s capacity to contribute to fundraising efforts.
- Supervising the planning, oversight and implementation of programs, events, and published materials.
- Supervising the development of membership and member services.
- Supervising the planning, oversight, and implementation of public policy advocacy efforts.
- Supervising the financial management of the organization, including the maintenance of accurate financial records, tax, and regulatory filings as required by the organization’s legal status.
- Managing and developing the staff.
Excellence in this position will include:
- Working with the board and other stakeholders to establish a compelling, long-term vision, identify and prioritize the organization’s critical issues and directions, then develop and implement plans to realize that vision.
- Inspiring and motivating others to expand their understanding of corporate social responsibility.
- Leading VBSR’s efforts in the public policy arena, its events, its efforts to grow membership, and its fund raising to new levels of success, creating more value for its members.
- Representing VBSR and its mission in compelling ways to the Vermont business community, the State government, and others.
- Exemplifying an entrepreneurial spirit that expresses itself in the ability to grow and develop new ideas while prioritizing increasing the value of membership, the development of new revenue streams, and demonstrating the three-pronged bottom line approach to people, planet, and profit in every aspect of the organization.
- Helping develop the board’s involvement in fund raising and supporting efforts to use the board’s talents more fully.
- Developing stronger relationships with key partners (e.g., B Corps, legislative leaders).
- Managing VBSR’s financial resources wisely, working closely with the board’s Finance Committee.
- Developing a great staff team and helping individual staff members develop their skills and capabilities.
The position’s physical requirements include:
- Sitting at a desk regularly.
- Working with computer and phone for long periods of time, writing, speaking, and listening.
- Being capable of traveling by car around the state.
- Attending meetings during the day and some evenings.
- Being able to lift 25 lbs.
Deadline: December 31, 2019 12:00 am
Application Instructions: To apply, send cover letter, resume and three references to Frank Sadowski at firstname.lastname@example.org by 12/31/19. No phone calls please.