King Arthur Baking Company
Environmental Sustainability Manager | Full Time
Location: White River Junction, VT Hybrid
Meet Us: King Arthur Baking Company is an award-winning, audience-leading baking company with a strategic vision to be the resource for baking education and inspiration. Through traditional and new media, in-person and virtual education, we strive to be a leader in helping novice and expert bakers alike. We’re not going anywhere – we’ve been part of the family since 1790. We work to build stronger communities and increase access and the connection to real foods. We take pride in our responsible sourcing and our “never bleached” guarantee. And we work closely with farmers, millers, and suppliers in a continued commitment toward sustainability. Our wheat flour is grown and milled right here in the United States. Flour this good uses only the purest ingredients, free from GMOs. As a founding B Corporation, we are committed to using the power of business as a force for social and environmental good. We believe every employee’s contributions make our company what it is: vibrant, successful, and committed to spreading the joy of baking. We are a welcoming and inclusive 100% employee-owned company.
The Position: The Environmental Sustainability Manager will provide thought leadership and deep expertise to department leaders and other teams on a broad range of issues at the intersection of business and sustainability, to skillfully advance King Arthur Baking companies’ environmental sustainability strategy. The individual in this role will oversee all aspects of the cross-functional environmental sustainability strategy including environmental stewardship, supply chain-demand planning-packaging research & analysis, stakeholder engagement, and advocacy. They will develop, socialize, advance, lead and track sustainability vision, roadmap, and strategic initiatives, while assisting senior leaders in understanding emerging environmental risk and opportunities within the industry. As part of King Arthur Company’s Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability team, you will have the opportunity to evolve the strategic direction and roadmap to improve King Arthur’s environmental impact related to our supply chain, sourcing, and facilities. Partnering with cross-functional teams, this role is responsible for driving King Arthur’s environmental sustainability strategy with a special focus in agriculture, emissions, circular packaging, waste, sourcing, and advocacy.
This role is responsible for leading and executing on King Arthur’s environmental sustainability strategy with a special focus six impact areas: Agriculture, Emissions, Circular packaging, Waste, Sourcing and Advocacy.
The Benefits: Yes, we have the regular “stuff” – medical, dental, vision, company paid short- and long-term disability, life insurance, paid time off to rest, paid holidays to have fun, a 401(K) with a company match. But here’s what makes us different: 40 paid volunteer hours a year, profit sharing*, participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)* and knowing that those working with you are dedicated and engaged co-employee owners that believe in you and your extraordinary abilities to move us all forward.
Reports to: VP of Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability
Location: White River Junction, VT; this is a hybrid-remote role that requires working onsite in WRJ, VT a minimum of 3 days each month
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Drives, implements, and oversees programs, plans and goals to support current and future King Arthur Baking environmental sustainability efforts, bringing a broad understanding of environmental sustainability principles
- Identifies opportunities to implement innovative new programs to enhance the Company’s environmental performance
- Collaborates with Brand, Marketing, and Sales to engage consumers, customers, and bakers to drive stakeholder awareness of the environmental initiatives
- Leads engagement with business leaders and outside subject matter experts on specific projects relating to environmental sustainability to coordinate strategies, plans and follow through on tactical efforts. Builds and supports connections across teams to create buy-in and drive programs and projects
- Provides advice and guidance to other teams to incorporate environmental sustainability into projects and planning
- Prepares management and board presentations
- Strives to drive and prove economic value delivered through environmental sustainability efforts
- Ensures compliance with applicable environmental regulations while pursuing actions far “beyond compliance”
- Develops and leads the application of “best practice” standards across the Company
- Conducts financial analysis and budget preparation
- Executes multi-year projects
- Manages initiatives, reports results, and makes recommendations based on risk mitigation, brand building, opportunities to drive brand & sales, generate impact and other factors
- Responds to business leaders, customer, and stakeholder inquiries about sustainability efforts
- Manages all company environmental sustainability partnerships and collaborations, information and data and acts as resource for team and company leaders; takes complex information and develops clear stories and outcomes
- Leads measurement and evaluation process for annual reporting and benchmarking surveys, along with CSR Manager
- Leads the Company’s Green Stewards
- Performs other job-related duties as requested
- Bachelor’s degree, Masters preferred in environmental sustainability, environmental policy, or environmental science,
- 5+ years of experience in developing, implementing, and institutionalizing new environmental initiatives in a diverse and dynamic organization
- Motivated, results-oriented and committed to moving environmental sustainability efforts forward, with vigor and determination
- Data driven, collaborative, and finds value in working in a cross functional and matrixed environment
Success factors/competencies for this role
- Open to change, recommends actions for continuous improvement
- Thinks and acts strategically, understands how their role contributes to larger outcomes
- Provides exemplary customer service to both internal and external customers
- Sets high standards for oneself, meet deadlines
- Learns from mistakes, receptive to feedback
- Effective communicator, listens and respects others’ points of view
- Participates in team problem solving and decision making
- Maintains a positive attitude
- Is community minded – gets involved, volunteers
Physical requirements/work environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical requirements
- Must be able to work at a computer for hours at a time each day
- Work environment
- Remote work setting
- Must have access to a quiet space for virtual meetings as required
- Understands that safety is the responsibility of everyone at the organization
- Responsible for providing a safe and ergonomically sound work environment, identifying unsafe conditions and correcting these conditions immediately
- Engages in safety and compliance training programs and encourage 100% team participation in same
- Adheres to company-wide green norms, looks for ways to reduce, reuse, recycle
- Educates oneself on KAB environmental campaigns
- Strives to continually improve and implement new processes to reduce our environmental impact
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Deep appreciation for the diversity of the communities we serve and the programs that we operate and fund.
- Brings a lens of equity to and social justice to investments and programs for partners and employees.
- Strives to create a culture of belonging where all bakers can thrive
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
There’s room at our table for you! Apply today. Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors protected by law. King Arthur Flour provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities to allow them to participate in both the application process and during employment. Such individuals are encouraged to seek accommodations to allow them to apply for a position, participate in the application process, and meet the essential functions and requirements of the position.