Entry Level Gas Controller | Full Time
Category: Energy Products/Services
Location: 85 Swift Street, South Burlington, VT, USA
ABOUT THE POSITION:
An Entry Level Gas Controller develops the skills to monitor and control the transmission and distribution systems. They forecast gas demand, manage the supply portfolio, and procure short-term supply to ensure maximum profitability while maintaining system integrity.
WHAT ARE THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS POSITION?
- Learn to continuously monitor the integrity and safety of the transmission and distribution system. Control pressure, volume and flow within the network.
- Provide emergency dispatch and response. Develop skills to respond to emergency situations involving the natural gas system, including customer gas equipment.
- Provide after-hours service dispatch. Develop general knowledge of natural gas end use equipment to assist with providing superior customer service when taking customer calls after-hours.
- Develop the skills to optimize the gas supply portfolio through long-term contracts, storage, balancing, swaps, cash markets, customer curtailments, parking and loans. Nominate commodity and capacity from upstream shippers. Negotiate and execute short-term commodity transactions.
- Participate in the preparation and analysis of usage forecasts from models and historical data to determine short term supply requirements.
- Use software models including complex spreadsheet, SCADA, and databases.
- Performs continuous system monitoring including verifying system data integrity and monitoring the security of the SCADA system. Build knowledge to properly respond to all SCADA alarms.
- Become familiar with all transportation contracts for moving supply to Vermont Gas’s transmission line. Also gain a general knowledge of nominations, reporting and upstream confirmations.
- Develop strong customer service skills for providing superior customer service to a variety of customers including residential, commercial, and interruptible. Understand and follow building security procedures.
- Prepares and disseminates numerous reports for multiple purposes. Other duties as may be requested or required.
DESIRED SKILLS FOR THIS ROLE
- Technical Knowledge: Understanding of basic gas laws and flow principles of natural gas in a pipeline environment is preferred. Must possess computer related skills with experience in Microsoft office products, particularly spreadsheet skills in Excel. Able to learn complex supply & forecasting models.
- Problem Solving: Possess creative problem-solving skills for daily supply and delivery issues.
- Interpersonal Skills: Effective communication skills required. Must possess analytical and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organizational Skills: Able to appropriately handle and maintain confidential information. Must be self-directed. Ability to produce accurate work is essential. Able to self motivate in an unsupervised environment.
- Accountability: Able to function effectively in the role as the primary emergency response coordinator.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Associates degree preferred with emphasis on computer, engineering, and/or business studies. Experience in the Natural Gas industry preferred. Understanding of basic gas laws and flow principles of natural gas in a pipeline environment helpful. Dispatching experience is a plus.
Physical Demands/Work Conditions
- Position is Safety Sensitive and subject to appropriate drug and alcohol testing as prescribed by the Federal Register 49 CFR-Section 199.
- Must be able to work 12 hour rotating shifts either day or night for several consecutive days to include weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to work alone during night shift work.
- Ability to calmly handle high pressure situations to include emergencies.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Continuously – Sit; work on computers; bend; twist; and use both hands for simple grasping and object manipulation.
- Occasionally – Stand for extended periods of time; walk; reach above shoulder level; lift up to 50 lbs.; push/pull; squat; climb; kneel/crawl; walk on uneven ground; and work outdoors with exposure to weather conditions.
- Clear vision required for computer monitoring.
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective, and thought. Chances are, if you are considering applying for this position, you have transferable skills that will help you be successful in this role. Candidates across all markers of identity (age, race, gender, ability, communication style, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply, even if every skill requirement does not match perfectly, because we believe in continuous improvement and support our employees in achieving goals and objectives.
Visit our career page or apply here!