Engineering Consultant | Full Time
VEIC is a sustainable energy company on a mission to generate the energy solutions the world needs. For more than 30 years, VEIC has worked with governments, utilities, foundations, and businesses across North America to design and deploy clean-energy services spanning energy efficiency, building decarbonization, transportation electrification, and a clean and flexible grid.
VEIC administers three large-scale energy efficiency and decarbonization programs and provides full-service consulting and engineering services. VEIC is nationally recognized for originating pilots and programs that optimize energy use, reduce energy burdens for low-income customers, and advance emerging technologies and innovative program models.
The Engineering Consultant identifies, advocates for, and advises on energy efficiency improvements in industrial, commercial, and agricultural buildings and facilities. Quantifies greenhouse gas (GHG) impacts and savings potential, as well as developing innovative approaches for measuring and reducing GHG impacts. Participates in the delivery of cost-effective market-based services across multiple sectors while contributing to a mission-driven, creative, enjoyable, and stimulating work environment.
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective, and thought. Climate change impacts all of us; however, we are impacted differently based on our identities and experiences. We all deserve a place at the table to make decisions about our collective future – we hope you’ll consider joining us as we work towards our vision for a healthy planet, thriving people, and energy justice.
Candidates across all markers of identity (age, race, gender, ability, communication style, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply.
- Works with wide range of customers, including business owners, architects, engineers, vendors, trade allies, and other relevant players to promote the installation of cost-effective efficiency improvements in customers’ future and existing buildings/facilities and to creatively overcome barriers to installation in accordance with divisional strategic plans.
- Performs detailed energy and financial analyses, analyzes fuel and utility bills, estimates savings and costs, screens efficiency measures, educates, and provides technical analysis of energy use with assistance and upgrade recommendations.
- Adopts and applies knowledge in work with customers regarding new building technologies, process improvements, and substantial energy efficiency opportunities that are presented to staff.
- Builds and maintains relationships with customer decision makers and implementation staff to develop project energy savings goals. Works with engineering staff and customers to determine and present estimated energy savings and appropriate incentives. Manages customer expectations and capably persuades customers to make investments in energy efficiency.
- Works with customers to identify and prioritize site specific project needs and opportunities, develop customer relationships, manage customer expectations, and inspect installed efficiency measures.
- Supports and collaborates with other organizational staff to deliver market-based services. For example: supporting business developments efforts, industry conferences, assisting with development of training for clients and internal staff, researching new products and technologies, and identifying and implementing improvements to our processes and approaches.
- Maintains accurate and timely project records and documentation within VEIC’s database system and in hard copy files.
- Provides and models exemplary customer service both internally and externally to the organization.
- Provides guidance to less experienced Engineering Staff.
- Supports business development opportunities and may contribute to customer engagement strategy.
- Technical scope and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides consulting services pertaining to equipment and facility energy use for multi-family, commercial, and industrial customers. Services include site inspections, building and systems diagnostics, and oral and written feedback and recommendations;
- Provides training, field mentoring, and guidance to customers and relevant market actors in accordance with energy efficiency service protocols and approaches;
- Partners with general contractors, manufacturing representatives, and design professionals to promote and implement energy efficiency measures;
- Provides public presentations relating to multifamily, commercial, and industrial building and facility energy efficiency to various audiences;
- Assists customers to develop project specifications, solicit contractor submittals, evaluate proposals, and participate in pre-bid meetings for projects as appropriate;
- Reviews other Engineering Consultant savings calculations and authorizes incentives following established protocols;
- Performs on-site inspections which may include measuring dimensions of building components, verification of installed heating, cooling, and/or ventilation systems, diagnostic testing, and collecting and recording data;
- Advises on building science (e.g., heat and moisture transport) and code and efficiency program compliance;
- Analyzes building energy efficiency levels using energy rating or other modeling software or through other accepted tools and provides reports and documents as well as oral and written recommendations to customers.
- Supports the coordination of activities with other staff, groups, and divisions within VEIC as is necessary to accomplish organizational goals and objectives.
- Strong personal commitment to the mission, vision, goals and values of VEIC.
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical, electrical, or related engineering field, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills were acquired.
- A minimum of two years’ experience analyzing multifamily, commercial, or industrial energy use, identifying opportunities for energy improvements, and assisting customers, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills were acquired.
- Proficient understanding of buildings, facilities, and/or manufacturing systems, building energy use, building construction, and energy analysis techniques.
- Basic knowledge of negotiation skills, financial analysis, and business strategies.
- Demonstrated success in project management, construction management, and building long-term customer relationships.
- Proficiency with mobile PC applications and tablet computer use, building energy modeling tools, spreadsheet, word processing, and database software.
- Knowledge of relevant codes and standards.
- Strong interpersonal skills and competent written and oral communications skills and ability to apply them within a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to be organized, detail-oriented, accurate, and able to track progress to ensure timely involvement in multiple projects and associated tasks and competing priorities in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
- Capacity to learn and adapt to new situations, processes, and innovation; ability to adapt style to meet the needs of individuals and/or the organization.
- Must be able to work independently and use sound decision making practices while maintaining high level organizational goals.
- Experience with thermal shells, refrigeration systems, HVAC, or coding is a plus.
Please apply on our website: https://careers-veic.icims.com/jobs/1407/engineering-consultant/job