Electrical Engineer | Full Time
89 North®, a wholly owned subsidiary of Chroma Technology Corp, develops innovative products for the biomedical imaging market. We focus on development of high-performance light sources for fluorescence-based applications including fluorescence microscopy, automated DNA sequencing, HTS/HCS, real time PCR and microarray analysis
We have an exciting opportunity for an Electrical Engineer!
JOIN OUR AWARD-WINNING TEAM! Recognized as a Best Places to Work in Vermont and awarded the DCD Outstanding Vermont Business of the Year, Chroma Technology Corp. is a 100% employee-owned company and certified B corporation. We are able to offer an extremely generous package of benefits, rewards, and a value-driven work environment. Join our team of collaborative employee-owners who are self-motivated, independent workers willing to strategize and together work towards the long-term prosperity of the company.
The Electrical Engineer, as a member of our interdisciplinary engineering team, leads all aspects of printed circuit board design, compliance testing, manufacturing support, and circuit board sustaining engineering. The Electrical Engineer’s responsibilities also include establishing incoming testing and product testing, as well as production process, troubleshooting, and service support.
- Design printed circuit boards (PCBs) through generation of schematics, PCB layouts, printed circuit board assemblies (PCBAs), and fabrication documentation using standard design tools and practices
- In collaboration with the team, develop PCB architectures to satisfy product and regulatory requirements taking into consideration usability, manufacturability, serviceability (product), and repairability (PCB)
- Contribute to system design aspects and processes of product development by:
- Engage with the team to define robust system architectures to meet functional and performance requirements; contribute to system engineering processes
- Analyze and assess system designs to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and achievement of performance goals
- Contribute to the development and implementation of efficient and repeatable validation and production test methodologies
- In collaboration with the project technical lead, plan and execute activities related to applicable compliance testing including ESD, EMI/EMC, and electrical safety; support compliance activities related to laser safety, environmental, RoHS, and REACH
- Identify, document, and approve standard product repair work instructions, as well as non-standard product deviations; lead electrical aspects of product service programs
- Support and manage electronics-related manufacturing issues: communicate with contract manufacturers and vendors to address issues related to material availability/dispositioning, PCBA yield, and fabrication
- Generate standard PCBA design packages and maintain designs, executing 89 North quality procedures related to design and change control
- Proactively identify and verify alternate parts to avoid shortage delays
- Drive continual improvement of the electrical assembly design process: maximize capabilities of available tools, identify tool improvements, implement and maintain best practices
- Participate in or lead (as assigned) corrective and preventive action processes, non-conformance mitigations, change review board activities, and continual improvement projects
- Stay abreast of relevant industry and technology advancements; attend training to stay current with latest PCB design and layout techniques
- Lead or contribute to operational/sustaining initiatives/projects as requested
- Collaborate with manufacturing and process engineer to develop production processes, KPIs, and quality tests
Required Education, Experience, and Eligibility Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the development of electronic products with an emphasis on printed circuit board design
- Experience with design for ESD, emissions, and transient susceptibility
- Demonstrated proficiency with integrated product development involving embedded firmware
- Expert knowledge of microprocessors, microcontrollers, communication protocols and devices
- Experience with electrical design tools and effective utilization of bug tracking and PLM tools and processes
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with co-workers, customers, and suppliers
- Prospective and/or new employees will be required to comply with Chroma’s COVID vaccination, testing, and face covering requirements. The requirements include proof of at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose before the start of employment and verification of the second dose within 30 days of the start of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to applicable vaccination requirements and must have an approved exemption before the start of their employment. Applicants in need of an exemption due to a sincerely held religious belief or disability should contact email@example.com.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Eligibility Qualifications:
- 7+ years’ experience in development of embedded firmware electronic products
- Electro-opto-mechanical product development experience
- Product development and manufacture experience in an ISO 9001 environment
- Altium experience highly preferred
- Experience with PTC Windchill, Python, LabView preferred
Please visit our career page at www.89north.com to review the full job description, summary of benefits, and to apply online.
89 North is an employee-owned company and equal opportunity employer.
Please use our website to apply: