Director of Technology | Full Time
Category: Energy Products/Services
Location: 366 Pinnacle Ridge Road, Rutland, VT, USA
Why you should join our team
As VELCO’s Director of Technology, you will oversee and provide leadership for departments of Telecommunications and Information Technology to achieve alignment of technology and business strategies in support of services for VELCO operations and stakeholders and in supporting new business developments. Communicate with owners, stakeholders, and customers to develop strategic initiatives that ensure effective use of technology in support of evolving electric grid needs and development of innovative new technology opportunities while maintaining security and compliance governance as regulations require. Promote partnerships and collaboration to ensure VELCO achieves its vision and growing business needs.
How you will make an impact
- Advance VELCO’s vision and technology mission as a preferred service provider.
- Establish strategies supporting VELCO business goals and objectives.
- Support the VP of Technology with recommendations, alternative perspectives, advice, and execution of strategic initiatives.
- Work with other Managers and Directors to align technology services with VELCO objectives.
- Develop Telecommunications and Information Technology personnel to support the changing technology work and approaches at VELCO as well as their professional growth.
- Promote an entrepreneurial culture which advances innovations to improve reliability, effectiveness, and develop new opportunities.
- Assess business process effectiveness and develop recommendations for evolving business needs.
- Anticipate business needs and necessary supporting technologies to advance strategic initiatives.
- Oversee operating and capital forecasts and budgets.
- Monitor Leading and Key Performance Indicators through SMART goals.
- Ensure protection and security of digital information and power system operation.
- Manage policy and governance of enterprise technology, regulatory compliance, information and telecommunication services.
- Develop and manage relationships with vendors and customers both internally and externally.
- Develop and maintain short and long term strategic planning for technology including technology selection, asset management, and life cycle management.
- Support the governance, management, and operation of VELCO’s technology services portfolio including statewide radio system, communication networks, data service platforms, and information insight capabilities.
- Develop and pursue opportunities which generate value for VELCO and the distribution utilities and other stakeholders in accordance with our Vision.
- Promote the integration and use of data, information, and communication.
- Identify and implement tools or processes to improve internal and external operation.
- Solicit performance feedback and act upon this information to improve.
- Advance VELCO technology maturity as a valued strategic business partner.
- Monitor and manage business risks including communication and business continuity.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, you must have a master’s degree in information technology or a related field is preferred; an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Ten or more years’ experience in a technology leadership role and expertise in operational, financial, quality assurance, reliability, cyber security, personnel management and management of largescale information technology projects.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
- Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
- Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
- Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
- Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
- Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
- Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
- Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
- Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
The Fine Print
Able to effectively communicate with all levels and operating areas and present to committees, executives, trustees, external regulators and industry associations. Excellent verbal, writing, analytical, interpretive, negotiation and project management skills required. Understanding of communications networks and associated protocols. Ability to identify and solve complex problems. Ability to be both creative and analytical.
Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex, analytical work, in potentially stressful situations, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions. Occasional travel to conferences, stakeholder meetings, project sites, etc.
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Director of Technology will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Director of Technology at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Director of Technology is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
To apply, please go to https://velco.breezy.hr/