Director of Strategy | Full Time
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the mountains. We fight for the future of our sport, people and planet and we try to have as much fun as possible while doing it! Bringing people together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences is how we ride together every day.
Burton’s benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), life insurance (company paid), flex spending, short- and long-term disability insurance (company paid), parental benefits, 401k plan with company match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, free lessons, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, casual work environment, and many more…
The Global Strategy team at Burton plays a critical role in charting Burton’s strategic positioning and long-term growth strategy, driving both the future of the company and shaping the industry landscape. We are tasked with ensuring the company has a clear mission and purpose and invests in the assets and capabilities needed to stay ahead of the competition.
The Business Strategy Director role is high in visibility and impact, serving as a key partner, influencer, and thought leader working closely with senior leaders and teams across the entire organization. The Director challenges our thinking, identifies key growth opportunities and threats, and ensures our strategic initiatives are grounded in solid business cases and insights.
What You Get To Do:
- Research, recommend and lead strategy development, including Burton’s long-term vision, multi-year strategic business plan, transformation strategy brand positioning, and annual priorities. Partner closely with senior leadership team to define, progress, and bring our most critical transformational/growth initiatives to life
- Identify new areas for global white space identification and expansion. Lead complex business and financial analyses across the competitive market, sizing addressable markets, understanding key trends, and analyzing burton and market sales data in order to identify key growth opportunities and develop recommended business strategies
- Collaborate closely with the customer insights team to integrate a complete view of our target consumer priorities and their unmet needs to ensure our company strategy is rooted in consumer centricity
- Develop actionable solutions for the most challenging emerging issues and opportunities facing our company. Identify and deconstruct business issues and develop strategic, analytical, and financial frameworks to conduct analyses. Provide thought leadership to business partners on a broad range of business-critical topics
- Assist in the planning and execution of the Global Strategic Planning Process
- Help lead enterprise business & corporate development including evaluating opportunities for future growth – including white space assessments, new business models, M&A, and strategic partnerships
- Lead strategy management and execution, including guiding the development of strategy action plans and measurement systems across balanced scorecards and regular business review meetings
- Serve as a thought-leader across the company for macro, micro, and market insights, synthesizing trends and identifying opportunities and risks that influence our current and future initiatives and strategic positioning. Oversee and/or support deep dives on financial, customer, and market analyses across our growth initiatives
- Develop high quality analysis and deliverables that clearly frame growth objectives, issues/challenges, and articulate compelling, insightful findings, conclusions, and recommendations
- Challenge, teach and inspire employees to understand strategic frameworks, strategic thinking and how best to achieve business results
- Be a key trusted partner for the SVP of Global Strategy & Insights – advising them, standing in for them during meetings, presenting their point of views, briefing them, and bringing them in at the right time on strategy topics
- Design, facilitate and synthesize senior leadership team meetings around strategy topics to present key new ideas and leave with decisions and next steps
- Manage and guide critical thinking from a strategy analyst to dive deep into the data and provide detailed recommendations to you in context and in order to make data-driven recommendations for next steps
- Demonstrate strong leadership and significant influence management skills with the ability to gain credibility with Sr Leadership while challenging the status quo
- Build “executive ready” project deliverables
What You’ll Bring to the Team:
- 8+ years of progressive business strategy leadership experience, working internally and externally, with increasing levels of responsibility, (top tier strategy consulting firm experience preferred), or investment banking analysis, retail, consumer, or financial sectors
- BS or BA, preferably in a related field (business, economics, etc.) MBA strongly preferred. Business analyst certification (CBAP or CCBA) preferred
- High degree of experience in analyzing financial data, market opportunities, drafting financial models, assessing business growth opportunities and drafting complete recommendations for action within and beyond the current scope of an organization
- Trusted partner – possesses the technical expertise, communication skills and good judgement to provide executives with an objective and independent point of view on broader business issues. Has a proven track record of working well with senior executives, an ability to influence major decisions through reasoned analysis, and good judgment about people and business issues
- Strategic, big picture, quick thinker and intellectually curious problem solver with proven experience in establishing thought leadership, vision and goals. Strategic mindset with an ability to think broadly, refine questions, and develop analytical frameworks
- Strong curiosity in tackling complex business problems; dives deeply into the data, relentlessly pursues what it means, and how these insights drive decision making
- Ability to lead adaptively through complex and ambiguous problems and situations
- Ability to act as a change agent and challenge the status quo
- Experience designing, facilitating and leading key strategy meetings with executive level leadership
- Drive transformational change, sponsor change initiatives, and enable others to innovate
- Analytical mindset and ability to synthesize complex information, connect ideas with data, and present in digestible, easy to understand format
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment, and effectively manage and meet multiple, simultaneous deadlines with minimum assistance
- Interest and patience in collaborating with and teaching employees strategic thinking
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to build trusted relationships with all levels within and outside of the organization
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to present to and influence diverse audiences on strategic initiatives and business opportunities. High emotional intelligence and verbal and written communication skills that educate and influence senior leaders; ability to “manage up”
- Deliver on commitments and holds others to same
- Use business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consider the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
Our HQ is based in Burlington, Vermont. We will offer relocation assistance to any candidate who is hired if they are able to move to Burlington.
If living in Burlington is not an option, we are absolutely open to candidates living in/working from other locations (in the US). In this scenario, we would expect the person hired to generally be available during eastern time zone hours.
The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.
Please apply online: https://jobs.burton.com/jobs/510/director-of-strategy