Director of Media Relations | Full Time
Location: PO Box 72
The Director of Media Relations leads Sterling’s efforts to generate a high level of media coverage, building the College’s reputation and underscoring its thought leadership among a wide variety of audiences. Focusing on news, issues, and events that are of interest to local, national, international, and higher education media, the Director will increase the quantity and quality of coverage over time, reinforcing the College’s key messages and thought leadership.
The Director of Media Relations is a full-time position reporting to the Dean of Advancement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute earned media strategies to promote the institutional brand and enhance Sterling’s reputation and awareness of its mission, goals, objectives, programs, and accomplishments among stakeholders, the public, and the media.
- Cultivate and maintain close relationships with key local, national, and global news media representatives, higher education outlets, key social outlets with a focus on millennial and Gen Z media, bloggers, influencers, and magazine and feature editors.
- Oversee services/vendors that support earned media relations such as media monitoring services, media databases, public relations firms, etc.
- Work with contractors and consultants on execution of communications plan.
- Collect, edit, and review all Sterling publications content.
- Earn and maintain the confidence of Sterling faculty while proactively leveraging the expertise represented by the College’s faculty. This includes promoting faculty accomplishments, pitching faculty as the experts they are, giving faculty a voice in letters to the editor and opinion pieces, and conducting media training for faculty members.
- Monitor media tracking efforts to ensure goals are met and produce quarterly reports for inclusion in reports to the Board of Trustees.
- Write and edit copy for news releases, publications, blog, external updates (Expeditioner), and weekly (eNews) internal communications. Issue media alerts, solicit alumni interviews and profiles, and collect and edit content for other publications as necessary.
- Maintain the Newsroom on Sterling’s website, ensuring that it is updated with meaningful content, including news releases, media coverage, and multimedia with an eye toward building media traffic to the pages.
- Take a leadership role in institutional resiliency and succession planning.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned and necessary to meet the evolving needs of the College.
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
5 or more years of progress growth in professional responsibility that demonstrates:
- Exceptional organization and ability to work under deadlines and at a fast pace.
- Acute awareness and attentiveness to detail on tasks, big and small.
- Adaptability to changing schedules or priorities.
- Care, concern, and congeniality in interactions with others.
- Empathetic approach to work and intuitive awareness of the needs of others.
- Humility and humor under pressure.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Experience working in higher education or environmental causes.
This is a full-time, exempt, at-will position with occasional weekend and evening commitments.
The finalist must be willing to submit to credit and criminal pre-employment screening.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Paid sick leave and vacation
- Paid holidays
- Parental leave
- Paid Bereavement
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Basic Term Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Retirement Contribution
Sterling College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The position will remain open until an appointment has been made, but application review will begin immediately. Candidates should send the following materials electronically: cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three references. References will not be contacted without candidate permission. Application materials should be addressed and emailed as a single PDF file to: Christina Goodwin, Dean of Advancement & Alumni Relations (firstname.lastname@example.org).