Vermont Community Loan Fund
Director of Lending Housing & Community Facilities Programs | Full Time
Location: 7 School Street, Montpelier, VT, USA
The Vermont Community Loan Fund is a nonprofit financial institution that provides loans and other resources to developers of affordable housing, community organizations & nonprofits, businesses, and early care & learning providers. With over $50 million in assets, Vermont Community Loan Fund is Vermont’s largest Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). Vermont Community Loan Fund (VCLF) is a mission-driven lender, creating opportunities that lead to healthy communities and financial stability for all Vermonters. Learn more at www.investinvermont.org.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Director of Lending for the Housing & Community Facilities Program is a senior level member of management and part of our Loan Team. They are responsible for all aspects of our Housing and Community Facilities programs including new business development, loan underwriting, credit write-up and approval, and closing in coordination with other team members. The Director of Lending for Housing & Community Facilities coordinates internally among VCLF departments and works directly with external professionals including legal counsel, real estate developers, other lenders and representatives of partner agencies and organizations.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter with excellent big-picture thinking and problem-solving skills who can collaborate with others to design and implement efficient and effective business processes. The Director of Lending for Housing and Community Facilities will be required to have or develop knowledge of Community Development Financing Institution (CDFI)’s and affordable housing development programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Loan Underwriting and Monitoring
- Prepare credit memos including financial analysis, social impact analysis, and risk analysis, for Housing & CF Loan Committee and Internal Loan Team consideration;
- Implement and manage regular procedures for loan closings and routine monitoring;
- Maintain call report and records of loan applicant inquiries;
- Effective stewardship of VCLF’s Housing & CF loan portfolio through regular communications with borrowers;
- Implement effective collection and workout strategies for problem loans;
- Assist in the ongoing review and development of loan management procedures and policies;
Marketing, Technical Assistance and Training
- Identify and develop contacts with new initiatives or projects where VCLF may be able to provide financing;
- Inform borrowers of other sources of financial assistance;
- Work with borrowers to complete loan applications;
- Represent VCLF as appropriate to community organizations, bankers, policy makers, the media and the public at large;
- Stay informed regarding affordable housing activities throughout the state and offering VCLF as a resource to help solve those problems.
Program and Product Development
- Assist Executive Director and Board in planning the overall direction of the Housing & CF Program.
- Identify and develop new products needed by non-traditional borrowers or new sustainable endeavors.
- Assist Executive Director in developing new programs to meet emerging needs in affordable housing and essential community services.
- Responsible for the general administration of the Housing & CF Program.
- Co-Lead the Lending Department with the Director of Business & ECL Programs
- Share supervision of the Loan Administrators and Loan Officers with the Director of Business & ECL Programs.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
SUCCESSFUL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES FOR THIS POSITION
- 3-5 years of experience in loan underwriting, servicing, collections, portfolio management, commercial lending practices, and real estate finance
- College degree or commensurate experience
- High degree of organizational skills, self-direction and ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated ability to work with deadlines
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure
- Motivated by and dedicated to social and economic opportunities for all
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES FOR THIS POSITION
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, email and internet
Diversity, justice, and inclusion are key values within VCLF. We are committed to building and sustaining an inclusive, equitable working environment for our staff. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design, and deliver solutions.
VCLF is an equal opportunity employer. This position is a full-time, exempt position with generous benefits including health, disability insurance, retirement with an employer match, and a liberal paid leave program. This position is located in Montpelier, VT. VCLF offers a flexible work environment. Salary Range: $85,000 to $100,000 annually.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com or VCLF, PO Box 827, Montpelier, VT 05601.