Director of Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) | Full Time
Category: Human Rights/Social Justice
Location: 180 Queen City Park Road
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the mountains. We fight for the future of our sport, people and planet and we try to have as much fun as possible while doing it! Bringing people together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences is how we ride together every day.
Burton is embarking on a long-term journey to embed Justice, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (JEDI) into our internal company culture, and into the culture of snowboarding and our customer community. We’re committed to confronting systemic racism and increasing equity, representation, and inclusion for all people in our sport, our outdoor spaces and our society.
We are looking for a passionate JEDI subject matter expert to coordinate our efforts in this space. This individual will work in conjunction with the Senior Leadership team, People & Culture (HR) and an internal committee to drive programs, initiatives and the overall strategic plan forward.
Burton’s benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), life insurance (company paid), flex spending, short- and long-term disability insurance (company paid), parental benefits, 401k plan with company match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, free lessons, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, casual work environment, and many more…
What You Get To Do:
- Support the overall growth and integration of JEDI at Burton.
- Build and program manage JEDI initiatives, tracking outcomes, and sharing results to influence company-wide mechanisms and cultivate an inclusive workplace.
- Drive program objectives through defined project plans; manage implementation activities, and develop processes, documentation and communications for program/process rollout and ongoing support.
- Communicate new/updated programs, policies, and processes to leaders, employees, and cross functional teams.
- Engage in the identification of diversity best practices and benchmarks as input to designing and implementing initiatives.
- Act as a JEDI subject matter expert by contributing perspective, insights, and knowledge, and taking a balanced consultative and systemic approach to enable the organization to capitalize on JEDI through strategic and tactical/operational execution.
- Partner with the People & Culture team to help develop and drive strategic diversity and inclusion direction, coaching, and counsel on programs, people strategies, policies and procedures, conflict resolution, change management, and organizational development to promote an inclusive culture and fair and equitable work environment.
- Build strong relationships across the company to develop a deep understanding of the business and increase awareness and understanding of JEDI as a business imperative and drive relevant strategies and initiatives.
- Collaborate and influence; ability to reach beyond immediate scope to influence and lead change initiatives with multiple stakeholders.
- Help develop and maintain processes and systems to hold leaders accountable for their support, implementation and eventual ownership of JEDI in their divisions and departments.
- Recognize and respond to regional needs by providing tailored strategies and solutions to enable appropriate cultural awareness and change.
- Help recognize and respond to regional and local retail diversity needs, issues and initiatives.
What You’ll Bring To The Team:
- 3-5 years of relevant and/or lived experience relating to justice, equity, diversity and/or inclusion.
- 3+ years of experience managing or supporting large projects with a record of initiating and furthering business strategies and best practices, working with many stakeholders, including stakeholders in different cultures
- Global mobility, or experience with aspects of justice or EDI outside of the United States, is necessary. We are open to the experience you bring whether it’s lived-in, educational or research based.
- Excellent project/program management skills, successful execution of JEDI initiatives from start to finish
- Experience designing and delivering JEDI learning and development content and experiences
- Demonstrates superb cross-cultural skills with proven ability to successfully approach, build trust, listen, and negotiate across multiple cultures, markets, and community/business employees and leaders
- Highly effective communicator and strategic thinker with the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex ideas, unique concepts, and proposals to enroll team, peers, and management
- Comfort and experience in collaborating with and influencing both coworkers and senior leadership teams; galvanizes others into action around building more diverse and inclusive environments
- Ability to influence others without direct authority to achieve solutions to meet organization’s objectives, and is proactive in providing solutions, resolving issues and overcoming hurdles to results
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and ambiguity
- Fosters change in company direction
- Our HQ is based in Burlington, Vermont. We will offer relocation assistance to any candidate who is hired if they are able to move to Burlington.
- If living in Burlington is not an option, we are absolutely open to candidates living in/working from other locations (in the US). In this scenario, we would expect the person hired to spend ~one week/month at Burton’s HQ in Burlington, and when not in Burlington to generally be available during eastern time zone hours.
- And whether located in Burlington or elsewhere, the person hired will be expected to travel to Burton locations in the US and internationally on a regular basis.
The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.