Vermont Community Loan Fund
Director of Housing & Community Facilities Programs | Full Time
Location: 7 School Street, Montpelier, VT, USA
The Vermont Community Loan Fund (VCLF) is a nonprofit financial institution that provides loans and other resources to local businesses, community organizations & nonprofits, early care & learning providers and developers of affordable housing. We develop and promote innovative capital-based solutions to issues of poverty and opportunity. With over $50 million in assets, VCLF is Vermont’s largest Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). VCLF is a mission-driven lender, creating opportunities that lead to healthy communities and financial stability for all Vermonters. Learn more at www.investinvermont.org.
Diversity, justice, and inclusion are key values within VCLF. We are committed to building and sustaining an inclusive, equitable working environment for our staff. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design, and deliver solutions.
VCLF is hiring a Director of Housing & Community Facilities Programs. This position is responsible for preparing, underwriting and processing loan applications, outreach, relationship-building and marketing to affordable housing developers and nonprofit service providers, as well as providing technical assistance to organizations for loan preparation, and overseeing the VCLF’s portfolio of housing and community facilities loans. They shall manage the Housing & Community Facilities Loan Committee, share in program and product development, fundraising, and administrative duties as required by the VCLF. The Director of Housing & CF Programs will report to the Executive Director. This position requires the ability to travel around the State of Vermont, and could involve some evening and occasional weekend meetings.
Currently, VCLF staff are working in the office and masking in common areas. This role requires engagement with communities throughout Vermont. Under normal circumstances, travel throughout the state is required. At present, individual and small group meetings have resumed on a case by case basis, with COVID protocols in place. In addition, there is flexibility in the schedule as there may be night and weekend hours on a case-to-case basis and/or for special events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Loan Underwriting and Monitoring
- Prepare credit memos including financial analysis, social impact analysis, and risk analysis, for Housing & CF Loan Committee and Internal Loan Team consideration;
- Implement and manage regular procedures for loan closings and routine monitoring;
- Maintain call report and records of loan applicant inquiries;
- Effective stewardship of VCLF’s Housing & CF loan portfolio through regular communications with borrowers;
- Implement effective collection and workout strategies for problem loans;
- Assist in the ongoing review and development of loan management procedures and policies;
Marketing, Technical Assistance and Training
- Identify and develop contacts with new initiatives or projects where VCLF may be able to provide financing;
- Inform borrowers of other sources of financial assistance;
- Work with borrowers to complete loan applications;
- Represent VCLF as appropriate to community organizations, bankers, policy makers, the media and the public at large;
- Stay informed regarding affordable housing activities throughout the state and offering VCLF as a resource to help solve those problems.
Program and Product Development
- Assist Executive Director and Board in planning the overall direction of the Housing & CF Program.
- Identify and develop new products needed by non-traditional borrowers or new sustainable endeavors.
- Assist Executive Director in developing new programs to meet emerging needs in affordable housing and essential community services.
- Responsible for the general administration of the Housing & CF Program.
- Co-Lead the Lending Department with the Director of Business & ECL Programs
- Share supervision of the Loan Administrators and Loan Officers with the Director of Business & ECL Programs.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
SUCCESSFUL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES FOR THIS POSITION
- 3-5 years of experience in loan underwriting, servicing, collections, portfolio management, commercial lending practices, and real estate finance
- College degree or commensurate experience
- High degree of organizational skills, self-direction and ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated ability to work with deadlines
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure
- Motivated by and dedicated to social and economic opportunities for all
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES FOR THIS POSITION
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, email and internet
VCLF is an equal opportunity employer. This position is a full-time, exempt position with generous benefits including health, disability insurance, retirement with an employer match, and a liberal paid leave program. This position is located in Montpelier, VT. VCLF offers a flexible work environment. Biweekly Range: $2,885 – $3,655.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com or VCLF, PO Box 827, Montpelier, VT 05601.