1% for the Planet
Director of Business Membership | Full Time
On behalf of our client, 1% for the Planet, CohenTaylor Executive Search Services is conducting a retained executive search for its next Director of Business Membership.
1% for the Planet is a global organization that exists to ensure our planet and future generations thrive. It inspires businesses and individuals to support environmental nonprofits through membership and everyday actions. 1% for the Planet makes environmental giving easy and effective through partnership advising, impact storytelling, and third-party certification.
It all started in 2002, when Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia, and Craig Mathews, founder of Blue Ribbon Flies, met and bonded over their shared love for the outdoors. Realizing their responsibility to protect our planet, they decided to give 1% of their sales back to the environment –whether or not they were profitable. The idea was simple: because companies profit from the resources they take from the earth, they should protect those resources. Realizing their responsibility, brands such as Brushfire Records, Klean Kanteen, New Belgium Brewing, Honest Tea, Caudalie, and many more followed suit.
Now a global movement, 1% for the Planet’s Business Members and Individual Members have given hundreds of millions of dollars to approved Nonprofit Partners to date. With a diverse network consisting of thousands of businesses, individuals, and environmental nonprofits, 1% for the Planet is on a mission to become the most globally recognized environmental community, working toward a better future for all.
For more information, visit onepercentfortheplanet.org
The Director of Business Membership leads the Business Membership Team. This team’s primary function is to provide best-in-class account management to 1% for the Planet business members around the world. This includes onboarding new members, advising members on their giving strategies and nonprofit partnerships, and communicating with members regarding certification, renewal dues, events, marketing, and networking opportunities. The Director of Business Membership will manage the overall performance of this team and will also serve as point person for a number of our key member accounts.
The Director of Business Membership reports directly to the CEO and serves as part of the Leadership Team. In this capacity, this Director will represent the Business Membership perspective in all organizational decisions and will also provide a conduit between the Leadership Team and the Business Membership Team—and vice versa. Their leadership model is organized around the integration of all functions at the Leadership Team level, so all directors are expected to take responsibility not only for their teams but also for the organization as a whole.
This position will oversee the performance of a growing team of account managers and coordinators responsible for providing value to the 4,500+ business members of 1% for the Planet. With 3 to 4 direct reports, the Director of Business Membership will have a varied weekly schedule, including check-ins with reports, Leadership and Business Membership team meetings, various cross-functional responsibilities, and regular interaction with high-value key accounts. Over the year, responsibilities will also include budgeting, work planning, performance tracking, event participation (virtual and in person), key initiative implementation and more. As an organization, 1% for the Planet is explicitly committed to integrating equity and inclusion in all aspects of its work and programming; the Director of Business Membership will be expected to contribute and lead in this area alongside the rest of the team.
• Ensure consistency, responsiveness, and cohesiveness across all aspects of business account management, and ensure members understand the nuts and bolts of membership and how best to leverage the model.
• Support team to deliver best-in-class member value, customer service, and support in certification and partnership advising.
• Support and integrate the unique focuses of key account management, small business member management, and regional account management and activation.
• Establish and maintain excellent working relationships with business members and prospects, community leaders, staff and board members and the general public.
• Deliver consistent cascading communications from Leadership Team to Business Membership team and maintain a consistent two-way flow of information between Leadership and Business Membership teams.
• Coordinate and commit to strategic alignment between Business Membership and other functional teams within the organization: Brand & Marketing, Development, Nonprofits, Business Systems & Innovation, People & Culture, Certification & Accounting.
• Share consistent communications with Leadership Team and other departments and teams about business member network composition and account management workflows (partnership advising, certification, and ongoing communications across both business and nonprofit networks).
• Implement strategies and systems that support the effective scaling of the business member network while enhancing member value.
• Deliver on all organizational strategic initiatives and KPIs and lead respective Business Membership activities.
• Support organizational budget processes with particular attention to Business Membership activities and personnel.
• Coordinate with supervisor and team members to cultivate practice of ongoing learning about the organization, its policies and culture, and the respective work of this role.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated capability as a manager, as an organizational integrator and leader, and as an account or client manager. 1% for the Planet is an established organization that is scaling rapidly. The ability to navigate organizational systems and processes with agility, to develop new processes when needed, and to adapt to changes and challenges are critical capabilities for the individual stepping into this role. 1% for the Planet has a shared leadership model and expects its directors to be able to represent both their team and the organization as a whole in every situation, so adept leadership experience is a must. The organization is scaling rapidly, so an eagerness for growth and change and experience managing both are essential. This is a remarkable opportunity for the right candidate.
While no one candidate will have all of the criteria enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess the following professional and personal abilities and attributes:
• Demonstrated excellence leading a growing team, managing multiple direct reports, and working cross-functionally in this capacity to support organizational goals.
• Account management/client service experience with understanding of tiered membership service levels.
• Demonstrated growth mindset with a commitment to creating and supporting processes that align with scale.
• Experience with and commitment to equity and inclusion work.
• Adept verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated relationship and networking skills, including an international sensibility to communicate across geographic and cultural boundaries.
• Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines and budget.
• Ability to prioritize tasks and experience with effective delegation when appropriate.
• Familiarity with Google Workspace and Microsoft Suite preferred.
• Salesforce and HubSpot experience preferred; CRM experience required.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Excellent analytical, decision-making, and problem solving skills.
• Strong change management skills and experience, and preference for experience in a growth-oriented environment.
• Equanimity in the face of challenges.
This position will be based at 1% for the Planet’s headquarters in beautiful Burlington, Vermont. If you are not currently based here and would like to discuss relocation or a hybrid schedule, we encourage you to apply.
The expected salary for this role is in the $75,000 – 80,000 range, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Role is bonus eligible based on organizational performance. In addition, 1% for the Planet offers a comprehensive employee benefits plan.
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org