Dean of Finance & Operations | Full Time
Location: PO Box 72
The Dean of Finance and Operations reports to the President and is responsible for direct oversight and leadership of key operational areas of the College. Direct reporting lines include finance and budgeting, technology, institutional research, buildings & grounds, campus sustainability, auxiliary services, human resources, and legal relations. As a very small institution, the Dean of Finance and Operations must be able to move seamlessly between leadership, management and hands-on engagement.
Desired qualifications include demonstrated experience in each of the areas of responsibility, including finance, facilities management and operations and human resources whether achieved in higher education or through work in non-profit or for-profit organizations; an ability to develop strong, effective working relationships with faculty, staff and students; a desire to engage deeply in the community life of students, faculty, and staff; and an appreciation for and interest in life and the outdoors in spectacular rural northeastern Vermont.
Competitive candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or equivalent and five or more years of related work experience. Experience in a private higher education setting is strongly preferred.
The successful candidate will have:
● A commitment to the ecological thinking and action mission of the College;
● Exceptional financial, operational and administrative management skills;
● A deep understanding of risk management techniques, policies and procedures and the importance of ensuring and sustaining a strong risk management culture at the College
● A “can do” attitude, strong work ethic and a desire to “roll up one’s sleeves” when necessary and to lead by
● Curiosity, and a willingness to stay current on the issues confronting higher education and the ability to
brainstorm innovative alternatives;
● Strong leadership and human relations abilities including the capacity for effective communication with all the College’s stakeholders;
● Ability to organize, coordinate and direct multiple projects and a desire to roll up one’s sleeves;
● Advanced analytical and systems thinking skills;
● Thorough knowledge of financial, operational and administrative practices and procedures;
● Understanding of federal and state laws that govern higher education and reporting requirements; and
● Integrity and a commitment to service leadership by example.
Specific Duties include:
● Designing, implementing and monitoring annual budgets and multi-year forecasting models
● Designing, documenting and implementing policies and procedures which result in timely and accurate
financial reporting and budgeting information;
● Overseeing all aspects of human resources including employee policies and procedures, benefits and handling
of personnel matters;
● Chairing the Risk Management Committee and ensuring that all committee recommendations are acted upon in a timely manner.
● Ensuring that the information technology needs of the College are met and monitored and that system and
software safeguards and user support services are in place;
● Conducting institutional research including the collection and analysis of peer-college data and information;
● Managing facilities use and their construction and development including master and sustainability planning,
public safety, transportation and parking;
● Performing other related duties as requested by the President
Position remains open until an appointment has been made. Candidates should send the following materials electronically: cover letter, curriculum vitae/resume, and contact information for three references. References will not
be contacted without candidate permission.
Application letters should be addressed and emailed to Peter Merrill, Vice President at firstname.lastname@example.org