Database Administrator | Full Time
Category: Energy Products/Services
VEIC is a sustainable energy company on a mission to generate the energy solutions the world needs. For more than 30 years, VEIC has worked with governments, utilities, foundations, and businesses across North America to design and deploy clean-energy services spanning energy efficiency, building decarbonization, transportation electrification, and a clean and flexible grid. VEIC administers three large-scale energy efficiency and decarbonization programs and provides full-service consulting and engineering services.
The Data and Technical Services – Information Technology (DATS-IT) division is a strategic partner to the entire organization and is responsible for developing and maintaining value-driven technology solutions that enhance VEIC’s performance and drive organizational excellence. Within the DATS-IT division the Business Intelligence (BI) department provides enterprise data management and BI solutions to support all VEIC operations, energy efficiency programs, and clients. These systems support VEIC’s energy efficiency programs, contributing to real-world energy savings and greenhouse gas reductions by increasing the reach and impact of our work. The BI team is looking for a Database Administrator (DBA) who can work closely with our DBA team members and a diverse group of data and IT professionals, software application developers, BI developers, analysts, and more.
This role enjoys engaging work within a non-profit, forward-thinking, energy consulting business and is available to work remotely or hybrid with physical offices in Winooski, Vermont, and D.C.
This role is responsible for the design, management, documentation, and development of databases at VEIC to support custom software applications, data warehouses, enterprise system database and BI infrastructure administration, and other data management functions. Administers and controls the activities related to data planning and development, and the establishment of policies and procedures pertaining to its management, security, maintenance, and utilization. Works with different roles and technical levels in the organization including business leaders, developers, analysts, infrastructure staff, and end users.
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective, and thought. Climate change impacts all of us; however, we are impacted differently based on our identities and experiences. We all deserve a place at the table to make decisions about our collective future – we hope you’ll consider joining us as we work towards our vision for a healthy planet, thriving people, and energy justice.
Candidates across all markers of identity (age, race, gender, ability, communication style, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply.
Database Management & Documentation
- Develops and maintains complex SQL/TSQL to support general data management and optimization.
- Develops and designs database strategies and system monitoring.
- Creates and configures new database instances.
- Ensures high reliability, availability, and performance of databases with robust procedures and monitoring.
- Plans, coordinates, and implements security measures including user, application, and security patches. Controls and monitors user access.
- Leads continuous improvement efforts in enhancing performance and providing increased functionality.
- Develops and maintains technical documentation management for servers, applications, databases, and packages. Creates and maintains dynamic technical end user documentation such as data models, data dictionaries, etc. as needed.
Software Application Development (DevOps) Support
- Develops SQL/TSQL code to support applications and resolve data issues.
- Works collaboratively with Product Owners, Project Managers, and application developers to plan, design and implement solutions that leverage database functionality and application code to build efficient, configurable applications.
- Schedules batch jobs as required.
- Troubleshoots and recommends solutions for application data issues and business cases.
- Supports application releases & applies implementation scripts.
- Modifies the database structure, as necessary, from information given by customers and application developers.
Data Architecture and Warehouse
- Determines requirements by analyzing client or internal operations, applications, and programming.
- Coordinates and implements new data development, ensuring consistency and providing for integration with existing warehouse structure.
- Designs and constructs databases for data warehousing, application development and Business Intelligence.
- Maintains data warehouses for analytics and reporting deliverables.
- Assists continuous improvement efforts in enhancing performance and providing increased functionality of warehouses to meet evolving business needs.
Enterprise Business Intelligence
- Develops SQL/TSQL code to support report developers, resolve data issues and implement best practices.
- Manages data acquisition and flow to optimize data integration, reporting, and analytics.
- Develop, test, and maintain efficient and optimized ETL packages and stored procedures.
- Develop, test, and maintain OLAP / OLTP.
- Works closely with Business Intelligence (BI) Manager on the development and execution of long- term goals, projects, and objectives.
- Works with BI Manager, BI Developers, and key stakeholders to determine requirements and business needs
- Supports continuous improvement efforts to ensure BI systems and processes are optimized.
DBA Leadership / Development
- Provides leadership, coaching, and/or mentoring to team members to develop their capabilities and expand knowledge and implementation of database management best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a combination of skills and experience in lieu of a degree.
- Expert at writing and debugging complex SQL/TSQL.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working with SQL Server, SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services), and SSAS (SQL Server Analysis Services) or similar at scale database and ETL technologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and part of a team as required.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical thinking and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated experience with developing and maintaining best practices and database documentation
- Ability to be flexible with evolving and emerging data related projects.
- Ability to work with different roles and technical levels in the organization including developers, analysts, network and infrastructure staff, and end users.
Preferred: Experience supporting agile software dev ops, SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services), or Power BI infrastructure.
Please apply at VEIC’s website: https://careers-veic.icims.com/jobs/1340/database-administrator/job